baby chicks not growing

biggzafx1

Hatching
9 Years
May 7, 2010
New Port Richey FL
Hello everyone, im kinda new to all this. I bought 6 silkies and 4 plymouth rocks chicks, all silkies and 2 rocks are eating and coming along fine, but 2 of the rocks are not growing. Ive noticed that dont eat as much as all the others do, the kinda stand back and eat any leftovers. Today i seperated them to see if they would eat, but nothing yet. they are 3 1/2 weeks. Any suggestions?

Have you given them any treats? Mine are wild about worms and chopped up grapes. They do need grit to properly process foods other than their crumble. Have you put vitamins, Poly-Vi-Sol WITHOUT iron, in their water? Vitamins will include vitamin B-12 which trips the hunger mechanism -- makes them want to eat.

Offer them chopped cooked egg (scrambled or boiled), yogurt, any fruits or vegetables you have handy -- not potatoes and not potato peels. Beans (good protein) peas, cantaloupe, strawberries (potassium) -- for the most part treats should not account for more than 10% of their diet... however, when you are trying to get them to eat it is certainly worth a try to offer something more appealing than crumbles. And of course you can mix crumbles with other things -- vitamin water, grapes, worms, eggs, yogurt -- all of it would mix well with chick food.

Good luck with your babies... let us know how they do.
Jenny

Back
Top Bottom