Baby Chicks on the way. Quick Question on Bedding

I also use pine shavings, but cover with paper towels for the first couple weeks. They get a little rambunctious around 1-1.5 weeks, making it hard to keep the paper towel in place. But I've been pleased with how it works, thus far.
smile.png

Spilled water hasn't been an issue for me, as the waterer is weighed down pretty well with marbles. They shoo the shavings into the water, though, so I clean that a couple times a day, maybe more if they've really made a mess.

I also use pine shavings, but cover with paper towels for the first couple weeks. They get a little rambunctious around 1-1.5 weeks, making it hard to keep the paper towel in place. But I've been pleased with how it works, thus far.
smile.png

Spilled water hasn't been an issue for me, as the waterer is weighed down pretty well with marbles. They shoo the shavings into the water, though, so I clean that a couple times a day, maybe more if they've really made a mess.
If you get a paving stone at Lowe's or Home Depot and put it under the waterer, it lifts it up just enough to keep if clean-ish.

I now use paper towel over shaving for about the first week or until they start scratching it all up, then go over to hay. I found they ate the shavings, straw seemed to be too rough on their little bellies. Hay was just gentler and I changed it every day or 2 so it wasn't getting moldy.

For the water issue, I use a couple 2x4 chunks underneath the waterer, just to help raise it a little also. I agree, water spills and the stink comes on quick!!! Straw is terrible also!

with my cochins the first 3 or 4 days i used paper towels after that they were on shavings. at a week or so old i put their waterer up on bricks to keep shavings out

Thanks for all the responses. The advice is much appreciated... I'm gonna go with the paper towels for the first few days. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions though in the weeks to come lol.. Thanks Again

I have used sand and it works great! easy to clean. it is heavy. I have used crushed walnut shells too which also works great but is expensive. Just tossing it out there as an alternative.
Caroline

If you get a paving stone at Lowe's or Home Depot and put it under the waterer, it lifts it up just enough to keep if clean-ish.

Yep, that's exactly what I did in the brooder once they were big enough to be tipping things over!
smile.png

I just kept adding a paver as they got bigger.
Before the pavers, I tried a large plastic dog dish, flipped over, but the spilled water collected under it and grew stuff. Yuuuuck!!

I still use them in my coop and outdoor run with my big girls. 4 pavers high seems to be the sweet spot. The 18" rounds fit perfectly under the waterers. And the 12" rounds fit under the feeders.

Back
Top Bottom