Apr 16, 2018
Help please

I bought 10 chicks 10 days ago.
They range from 2 weeks to 6 weeks

All Orpingtons
6 lavender
3 yellow
1 black

I noticed several are pooping blood and they have been on medicated food.

I went and bought Corid like the internet said

Do I need to stop their medicated food while I treat?

Any advice would be great!!

Help please

All Orpingtons
6 lavender
3 yellow
1 black

Yes
You should stop medicated feed because it contains B Vitamin that will stop the work of corid so no medicated feed once they are recover u should change ur brand

Yep. I recommend checking their "rear end" to see if any poop is stuck in their... You know, "hole". That happened to me before, they started pooping blood because the old poop is stuck in the hole while the new poop is coming out, and that breaks skin, which causes blood. I also agree that you should stop medicated feed.

Help please

All Orpingtons
6 lavender
3 yellow
1 black

Can you post photos of the poop?

The amount of Amprolium in medicated feed in minute (very small), so it really won't hurt to feed it if that's what you have on hand.
You need to make your Corid water the only water that they drink.
Just in case you need dosing information here it is:
1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Just for clarification most ALL nutritionally balanced feeds have vitamins/minerals added to them. This includes Vitamin B1 (Thiamine). Even regular chick starter contains it. The amount of B1 is balanced and would not be in an amount to contradict the Amprolium that is given during treatment.
There is a mention in medical journals and even in the Plumb's Vet Drug Manual mentions that "excessive thiamine in the diet can reduce or reverse the anticoccidial activity of the drug (Amprolium)"- Nothing defines "excessive".
As long as there is no additional supplementation/"extra" vitamins given that contains B1 (Thiamine), then there should not be a reduction or reversal in the effectiveness of the drug.

Yes
You should stop medicated feed because it contains B Vitamin that will stop the work of corid so no medicated feed once they are recover u should change ur brand

Can you post photos of the poop?

The amount of Amprolium in medicated feed in minute (very small), so it really won't hurt to feed it if that's what you have on hand.
You need to make your Corid water the only water that they drink.
Just in case you need dosing information here it is:
1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Just for clarification most ALL nutritionally balanced feeds have vitamins/minerals added to them. This includes Vitamin B1 (Thiamine). Even regular chick starter contains it. The amount of B1 is balanced and would not be in an amount to contradict the Amprolium that is given during treatment.
There is a mention in medical journals and even in the Plumb's Vet Drug Manual mentions that "excessive thiamine in the diet can reduce or reverse the anticoccidial activity of the drug (Amprolium)"- Nothing defines "excessive".
As long as there is no additional supplementation/"extra" vitamins given that contains B1 (Thiamine), then there should not be a reduction or reversal in the effectiveness of the drug.

Lost another chick :(

I think I am fighting a loosing battle
I’m so sad

Attachments

• 4C413FD6-30F8-48EA-8B89-768A6D7DCD38.jpeg
    4C413FD6-30F8-48EA-8B89-768A6D7DCD38.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 3694AE1D-6960-449C-AD62-F06EB2733347.jpeg
    3694AE1D-6960-449C-AD62-F06EB2733347.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom