Baby chicks raised with flock or seperate

Kmarkee

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2018
Hello.... I’m a first time broody hen mom and I’m wondering if and when my eggs hatch can I let the chicks free range like I do my older chickens? I have a coop (8x10)and an attached run about 10x12. I usually let my chickens ( 1 rooster & 8 hens) out around 11 to free range until dark. I opted not to move my broody hen out of the regular coop. She has a dark corner under the roosting boxes and the other hens are leaving her alone. My question is when the chicks are born should I lock all my chickens in or open the door as usual. Will the mother take the chicks in and out as usual. I have a smaller coop I could move them to but I have 6 chicks in it that I hatched in the incubator that will be around 3 weeks old when the chicks are born. I’m not sure what to do. I’ve read mixed reviews online. Help!

8C40EB42-1965-4CF9-B0A8-54ACE03CC29F.jpeg
Week 2 and mom and chicks are both doing fine raised in the coop with my other girls and rooster. No one seems to be bothering them at all. Mom had them out free ranging today and it is so cute to watch them mimic her and come to her call.

I had to leave everyone in the run on Saturday because of a wedding and they seemed to live together pretty good. No blood or injuries when I got home. I’m glad I left them them all together rather than having to integrate them now. It’s really been easy.

Ok thanks that’s what I was hoping to hear I didn’t want to keep them all in because they love to be let out and I thought the older hens might be less likely to mess with the little ones if they had plenty of room to run. I have 30 acres and they pretty much roam as they please until dark.

You may want to switch to an all flock/flock raiser feed with free choice oyster shells if you haven't already. All flock is a safe feed for all chickens including roosters, hens, non laying hens and baby chicks.

I haven’t yet but I plan to closer to the arrival of the chicks. They have about 1 1/2 left before hatch

Back
Top Bottom