Baby Chicks sick, swollen, teary eyes

Cole Campbell

Chirping
Aug 22, 2019
Hi everyone. My baby chicks (-about 3 weeks of age) seem to have some respiratory issue. I’ve been battling this in my main flock, I’m worried that I didn’t wash my hands after handling my main flock and I brought it to my chicks. 😔 Does anyone know what this is? I have given my main flock two different types of antibiotics and have not seen great results. They get better but then get sick again. I’ve cleaned out everything several times and it just is reoccurring. I’ve given them TerraVet 200 (oxytetracycline 200) and I am just finishing up giving them Doxycycline 20%. The sickness is characterized mainly by the swollen eyes, very teary with clear fluid buildup, then sneezing, and lethargy. I thought it was a secondary from gapeworm, but I’ve wormed the whole flock (two rounds) and yet the illness still remains and the antibiotics don’t help much. Can anyone tell me what’s affecting my flock? We have lost a number of chickens from this. I’m worried about my baby chicks. What can I do for them to help?

I'm responding but, have no clue what might be going on with your flock. I'm sorry your experiencing this problem. My first thought was a severe allergic response to something. But, have no clue. I HOPE someone with experience is on the forum to help you. In the meantime, put the symptoms in the Search Tab and see if this problem has been address before.
So sorry I don't know enough to help you right now.

Mycoplasma or MG is a contagious respiratory disease that can be passed from bird ro bird, carried on our hands, shoes, and equipment, and also may be passed through hatching eggs. It is likely they have what your other chickens have. The whole flock may test positive. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get rid of once a bird has it. Any new birds or hatched ones will get it eventually. It is best to close the flock, and when all birds are gone someday, you can start over with new birds. Unfortunately, antibiotics that treat MG may only treat symptoms, but the disease remains in the birds for life. Chicks with MG may have poor weight gain, decreased laying, and can suffer air sacculitis and other damage. Here is a good article:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Oh no... oh my God I hope not. I have over 100 chickens in my flock, I would be devastated. I will be getting a test for it done. Any clue where I could have them tested in Texas?

Your state poultry vet lab could be of assistance in testing. Also a national lab, Zoologix. will send swabs for you to collect yourself. Here is a link for the labs in Texas:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Here is a link for Zoologix:
http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm
Eggcessive!!! You have a Plythoria of knowledge!!! I love reading your post because I learn so much from you. This includes LaFleche and too many others to list. Incredible.
I summons LaFleche to help here and you just put it over the top to help Cole Campbell. But, at least she/he knows what they are dealing with. Straight from the BYC Dictionary Gang!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Hi ! I am just checking in on you and your reported problem with your August 4th post
"baby chicks (-about 3 weeks of age) seem to have some respiratory issue. I’ve been battling this in my main flock".

I was wondering how the chic was doing and what you decided about your treating your flock.

Hi ! I am just checking in on you and your reported problem with your August 4th post
"baby chicks (-about 3 weeks of age) seem to have some respiratory issue. I’ve been battling this in my main flock".

I was wondering how the chic was doing and what you decided about your treating your flock.
Hi! I’m so sorry, I have no idea how I missed your post. It turned out to be infectious coryza. An also awful disease but thankfully not one that’s passed on through eggs. I have closed off my current flock as I can’t bring myself to cull over 100 birds. They had the flare up in August and I ended up treating with Tylan in their water, and it had great results. So far, nobody has relapsed except one roo who is doing better after being separated and given Tylan. I believe the high death rate was mostly due to secondary issues, as we had a bad outbreak of mites and gape worm. For now, they’re happy, healthy as they can be with coryza, and away from exposing any other birds. It makes me very sad but I know that it’s necessary to ensure the health of my birds. It just wouldn’t feel right introducing healthy birds for them to be infected by this awful disease. If anyone has any tips for treating them when they do have outbreaks, I would appreciate it. The biggest struggle I had when they were sick was the pus coming from the eyes. It ended up blinding a few of my birds in one eye. I followed videos on removing the pus daily until they were better, but some did not fair as well as other.

much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom