Baby Chicks Sleep Standing Up

TheAlarmCluck

The Loudest Chicken In Town
Premium Feather Member
Mar 23, 2021
The Poconos (The Best Place Ever)
I have 10 chicks, 8 golden comets and 2 easter eggers. The easter eggers are a lot smaller than the golden comets. Ever since I got them they have been sleeping standing up. They are young so they sleep more than the others, but they are still very healthy and running around. They eat, drink, and play well. I fed them electrolytes and they didn't seem to change.
Is this a problem, or is it fine? How should I prevent this?

🐥

If they are smaller it also could be cold or they are trying to keep the other bigger chicks from jumping or piling on top of them while they rest. :)

Usually it won't matter, but if they are stressed out they may need a separate brooder or a hidey area.
1617547841808.png

They actually had too much heat-we had to raise the heat lamp because they showed signs of overheating.
🔥
So they were sprawled out far from one another avoiding the heat and panting??

Or some had pasty butt and folks convinced you that's a sign of over heating?

No rudeness here.. Just attention to detail as my means of survival growing up.. I take nothing for granted and consider the only stupid question to be the one that didn't get asked. :pop

Usually it won't matter, but if they are stressed out they may need a separate brooder or a hidey area.
View attachment 2598862
I love using the see through plastic ones for chicks, originally bought for guinea pigs..
1617551254827.png

These make great "huddle boxes" for transitioning outdoors, etc. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom