Baby chicks suffering from flu

tyarec

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2016
Chicks are 2 weeks old and they just got flu this evening. Right now they are active and fine please let me know what kind of home made remedy or medicines would be helpful for them. Thanks

Hi. I must agree with above post. Chickens don't get the "flu" sadly but they get diseases or have reactions to things. If you see mucus and hear wheeze it's likely a respiratory infection of sorts. There ARE things to try but most illnesses poultry get are viral. Meaning antibotics won't do much for the virus but CAN prevent a secondary infection which are common with virtual infections. You can choose a water soluble (that is IF they are drinking normally) or injectable. I perfer injectable because they are insured to get the whole dose and they work quickly. if you go the injectable route you can try Tynan 50 or baytril.You would need to look up chick dose.I'm unsure of what that would be. small and bantam birds take 1/4 cc so chicks would even take less. If you decide water soluble antibotics then make sure you use one geared for upper respiratory. you can find lists online. if you like a more natural approach you may give vetRx a try as well. BEFORE I decided it IS a illness I would make SURE they are not having a reaction to something in there environment. Such as bedding, air, dust, air fresher, any perfume or smell any other environmental thing they come into contact with. if you are certain it is not a reaction but illness at that point I would begin to treat them. What you use to treat is solely up to you and what your comfortable with using. I hope my ideas help some. if they are drinking well, a water soluble medication likely would be easiest to administer to them. Please keep us posted on how they are doing an how you decide to treat them. I'm sorry they don't feel well and sure hope they get better. I hope this helps a bit. best wishes

Chickens most certainly get "the flu"! Avian influenza is what decimated the commercial egg production facilities recently. It is also a reportable illness. Chickens diagnosed with it are culled immediately. BUT there are a lot of other respiratory diseases that chickens can get, plus if the chicks are active and fine, I would expect more that they've inhaled some dusty bedding instead of being sick. Support their immune systems with proper husbandry and keep a close watch just in case.

Avian Flu Symptoms for Birds:

sudden death without any signs
lack of coordination
purple discoloration of the wattles, combs, and legs
soft-shelled or misshapen eggs
lack of energy and appetite
diarrhea
swelling of the head, eyelids, comb, wattles and hocks
nasal discharge
decreased egg production

Last edited:
Well yes but that is a more of disease. what I'm referring to as like our "flu" or cold. The Avian flu as you said is a Reportable destructive disease. unlike our common flu would be. Big difference. Common sniffles no. Reactions yes, diseases yes, also viruses.

Colds are different from the flu (influenza). I had the flu two years ago and nearly had to be hospitalized. It lasted for a week and took two more weeks to recover from. People die from it all the time, which is why there is a recommended vaccine for people. I had never gotten the vaccine before I got sick with it, and let me tell you I am getting it annually now!

Common sniffles are usually a cold (or allergies), which is a different virus entirely...and yes, one that chickens don't get. I have just gotten over a cold (which actually ended up turning into bronchitis, so I was almost as sick as I was with the flu! I swear, my immune system...) which lasted for three weeks. :barnie

As far as I know, most of the outbreak of avian flu was confined to the commercial egg producers. I think I saw one small hatchery had been affected when I was looking around for chicks to order. So, pretty unlikely that the OP's chick have been exposed. I did feel the need to clarify that AI was a thing that existed though. :)

Back
Top Bottom