Kris5902

Enabler
5 Years
Oct 12, 2018
79DEA828-6689-40AC-ACC6-CEE24F7A7D51.jpeg
526C924F-A2C4-4FE9-9EE7-C5F1D9CE34E8.jpeg
E6A1AAD3-FCEC-4F89-B546-A8F627C378CC.jpeg
3460F785-C729-45AA-A660-98032EBFE844.jpeg
Two of my recently hatched chicks have an issue with their left legs. I’m not sure if it was injured during hatch or in the incubator. They have swollen hock joints and can’t seem to use their left foot or leg. One is now two days old and the second just under a day. Humidity was too high at hatching I had a few stuck chicks, but the two with the leg issue didn’t seem to have problems getting ourt of their shell

It's hard to even know if the legs can be corrected. With chicks, the sooner the better to attempt any type of correction/treatment. Right now bones and joints are still a bit flexible and can be manipulated. After a week or two, most leg issues can't be corrected.

Hi there again from 25 minutes ago, I see what looks like a swollen scab or scratch on the chicks. I ain’t sure and besides, it can always be the slipped tendon or any other leg condition. I’m suggesting that it could get better.

Two of my recently hatched chicks have an issue with their left legs. I’m not sure if it was injured during hatch or in the incubator. They have swollen hock joints and can’t seem to use their left foot or leg. One is now two days old and the second just under a day.

Hi, Kris, did your chicks recover? I had two chicks with what appears to be the same problem and am curious.

Hi, Kris, did your chicks recover? I had two chicks with what appears to be the same problem and am curious.

Sadly no, it was slipped tendons and I wasn’t able to correct them in time. I ended up culling them, but have not had a reoccurrence since. I now hatch with rubber shelf liners under the eggs so the chicks have something less slippery to stand on. You may have some luck if you follow the links provided by Wyorp Rock in post #2 of this thread. Best wishes for your chicks, people are able to correct this, even though I wasn’t.

Back
Top Bottom