Baby chicks

Chims3516

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2018
Hi there!

Question we just bought 6 new baby chicks and I was wondering if anybody has experience with brooder/heater. Here are the questions I was wondering if anybody could help with. What I was wondering is do baby chicks really need the light caused from a heat lamp, or is just using the brooder safe? The baby chicks are in my basement and get light until it gets dark outside for night time. The brooder I have says it reaches 40w temp but the heater part reaches 200w. What would be better to have on temperature wise for the baby chicks? I just want to make sure my babies are getting enough warmth and taken care of.

Thank you!

If I understand your question, chicks do not need light. They do need heat.

You measure the heat the heat source puts out by placing a thermometer underneath the heat source on the floor of the brooder where the chicks will be hanging out. You regulate the temperature on that spot by raising or lowering the heat lamp.

Chicks in the first week need that spot under the heat source to be between 85F and 95F. A lot depends on how warm the room is where you have the brooder. If the room is 75F, the spot under the heat source needs to be 85F. If the room is only 40F, the spot needs to be 95F.

You need to understand that chicks don't have the ability to regulate their body heat until they are completely outfitted in feathers. But as they grow in the feathers, they need less heat than in the first week. By age three weeks, most chicks brooded inside a house won't require heat during the day, only at night. After four to six weeks of age, depending on how completely feathered they are, they may no longer need heat at night, either.

Yes, baby chicks need heat. Depening on there age and feathering out. When they hatch from the egg they only have down on there bodies which will not keep them very warm. As they grow there feathers in you will notice they will stay away from the heat source more. When raised n
By a mother hen the chicks will huddle under her for warmth. The chicks will also need light to see to eat and drink. If they are compleatly in the dark, they could do neither.
Watch ther behavior. If they pile up under the heat source and are peeping very loud they are cold.
If they are escaping to the outer edges of there brooder and are panting, they are too hot.
Chicks are very fragile....did you not pick up a phamplet for there care when you purchased them? Its easy to kill them by mishandling. Read up on carring for chicks, this site has some goos instruction. Please let us know immediatly what is happening if you need help.

Back
Top Bottom