1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chirp chirping non stopwith head up.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tpotts1984, Jul 10, 2016.

1. tpotts1984

tpotts1984 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    I decided to get our family a few banties and one of the babies keeps chirping with head up. It's in rhythm and non stop. I feel so bad for her. She is eating, drinking, heating lamp on, and crop has food in it. I'm pretty scared there is something wrong with her. None of my other chicks did this. She is only 4 days old from our feed store.

[​IMG]

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

My bet would be pasty butt.
    The vent (anus) becomes caked with dried faeces and the chick can't eliminate waste. The cheeping is usually as it strains to do so and as food backs up in the system it becomes pretty desperate and constant.

If it looks like I'm right, get half a cup of warm water with a few crystals of epsom salts if you have them and sit the chick in it to soak. Gently rub/massage it's vent to help loosen the caked on poop and supervise carefully whilst it is soaking in the water so that it doesn't drown. Don't soak for more than 15 mins at a time but you may need to do it several times the first day to get things fully cleaned out. Dry thoroughly with kitchen paper and or warm (not hot) hair dryer and smear a little petroleum jelly or olive oil on it's vent each time to prevent further caking. Make sure the chick drinks plenty (mixing chick crumb into a wet mush with water and a little olive oil may help) and that the brooder is not too hot and has a cooler side the chicks can move to if they are feeling too warm.

Good luck with it. Hopefully, I am right about the cause, as it is reasonable easily solved.

Regards

Barbara

2 people like this.
  3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Great information!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by