baby chix with hard fecses on its rear

Pasty Butt;

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

I just got to clean 5 lil pasty bums. I am hoping now that they are here with me it will resolve itself. I cleaned them all up and will see what happens then I may have to dig out the vaseoline or olive oil.

I 2nd Amosunknown's reply. Run the clog under warm tap water for 30 secs. Then I start to break up the clump with my fingernails, trying not to pull on the feathers tangled up by the dried poo. The chicks will squawk a bit, but as long as you are not in a hurry, they will come through it just fine.
I think I only had to do this 4-5 times for 19 chicks in the "baby" chick phase. Thats 4-5 times total, not 4-5 times for each of the 19 chicks
lol.png

Last edited:
I have a 2 week old that is not eating. I've cleaned the yellow "paste" off her bum and I noticed that her bum is about 3 times as round and hard as her sister's. I'm pretty sure she's bound. Should I try the olive oil by mouth or lubricating the vent or putting in a warm bath and massage the bum or what?

I'm really worried since she's sleeping all the time and about 1/2 the size of her sister.

If it were my chick I'd probably try it all. But then I usually overkill. You may want to give her some electrolytes and vitamins though. Is she drinking and eating?

Um, it's really not all that complicated. Some just get it and some don't. Just pick it off and they'll be fine. You'll do them more harm than good with all that other stuff no matter how good the intentions are.

Thank you all for your recommendations. In the process of trying to "lube" the vent, I've put alot of olive oil on the body feathers. Should I clean them off? She looks "wet" and cold.

She's breathing hard and I don't know if she'll make it to morning. She's not drinking or eating anything.

Back
Top Bottom