baby chix with hard fecses on its rear

chixlady

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
How do I get the dried on fecses off the rear of the tiny baby chix? and why does it form on some and not on others?

It is called pasty butt. You just take a wet paper towel and wash it off. Sometimes you might need to get the butt really wet in a bowl or such. Why some get it and others don't ? I thought it was caused by stress or over eating? Others who know more will answer I'm sure.

ew-pasty butts. You have to wash it off with a warm wet washcloth, or even a little bit of oil. If you don't they can die
ep.gif

Maybe a more experienced person can tell you more

My "cure" for pasty butt.

Tools needed: small bowl or jar, warm water, paper towels, q-tips, lubricant (olive oil, veggie oil, vaseline, k-y jelly), hair dryer (optional), molasses (optional)

Step 1: Put warm water in a small bowl. You want it deep enough for the chicks bottom to be covered with water. Don't make the water too hot or too cold, it needs to be around the same temperature you would washa human baby in. Let the chick soak for about 5 minutes. Do not leave the chick unattended for ANY reason.

Step 2: Remove the chick from the water and wipe it's rear gently with paper towels, baby wipes, whatever you have. Once the vent is cleared, the chick may poo... A LOT. If it does, wipe that away as well.

Step 3: Finish drying the chick. You can use a hair dryer (be careful not to burn by having the heat too high or too close), more paper towels, whatever. You just want to get the chick as dry as possible.

Step 4: Take a q-tip and use it to apply the lubricant to the vent and the feathers surrounding the vent. This is to help prevent it from recurring.

Step 5 (optional): You can add molasses to the chicks water to prevent it from occurring. I don't know how much as I've not done this myself.

Another idea- last year somw of my peeps were getting pasty butt often and then I realized the pine shavings were to fine and they were eating it with their food and it was clogging them up and I had to use the q-tip trick to unbind them. Make sure your shavings aren't the very fine kind.

I had one this year that kept pasting up because he would sit with his butt to the wall of his enclosure.

Luckily in his case the vent was not blocked though. It still took lots of gentle swabbing with a wet paper towel to get him cleaned up though.

i hold the chicks butt under warm running water and pick and pinch at the feces until its cleared away enough for them to eleminate without it collecting again. Those feathers will very shortly be replaced with better ones, and the internal flora of the gut will prevent such build up.

I blow dry their booties once iam done too. So they dont get chilled or pecked at.

A vet on here said he liked Vaseline after the cleaning best. I hold them under warm running water, too. I also put paper towels over the pine for the first day or two.

Lots of causes for pasty butt; one is shipping stress.

I have read on here a recommendation against using the molasses, but using organic ACV in the water, 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp per gallon.

Wet paper towels or wash cloth didn't work for me. I gentle hold the baby chick in one hand with it's bottom facing forward with the bathroom water running a little - tepid water. Barely let the water run over caked on poo and gently soften it with your fingers without pulling. After a minute or two or three, it will soften up enough to come off.

You can then look and see the chicks vent usually going in and out. They do usually poo right after.

I then use a dry wash cloth do dry really well and put back in warm brooder. I don't use a hair dryer because of the noise.

Mine only came from the feed store with paste butt or got it within the first two days. Once cleaned up, it didn't return.

Quote:
O.K. I did this and you would not believe the look I got from those little girls
rant.gif

Make sure to sing a little Frank Sinatra or something to them first.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom