Baby Cream Leg Bar Chick Eye Defect/Concerns

KBelle22

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2021
Hey everyone! I had a shipment of 3 baby chicks arrive today and one has a very peculiar eye. This is a cream leg bar chick that’s 2 days old. First photo is of the eye I’m concerned about, 2nd photo is her other eye. Thanks so much for your help.

Ps- the chicks are from Meyer Hatchery. I had a broody hen that had an unsuccessful hatch and I ordered these chicks for her.
4126C2BD-18E8-4212-B00A-220F1C3BFBC6.jpeg

3ADD1AD0-D096-4987-975D-3725988CE482.jpeg

It almost looks as though her eye may not have developed properly in photo #1, like microphthalmia. How's her vision in that eye?
There has been no improvement. She definitely uses the other eye to look around, when I tried to check her depth perception on her peculiar eye with just my hand she seemed to not really see it. She always turns to use the good eye to look at me.

I have a Muscovy drake with microphthalmia - he has low vision in one eye and likely little to no vision in the other. He's had a good quality of life for many years, though, so it's very possible that even if your chick only has vision in the one eye, she can still live a good life, too.

If you're interested in how you can make life easier for a special needs chicken, search the forum - you'll find lots of posts on the topic. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom