Baby Duck hot, drooling

Duoas

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Hi again.

My wife went out last week and bought a couple of ducklings, whom we have named Ava and Trouble.

Today we finally got the chickens out of the house and into their coop outside. We also took the ducks outside and they had a great time wandering around and eating bugs.

Tonight Ava seems to have a fever. Her bill is hot and she is a little lethargic and she is drooling. Her stool is normal. She is a Pekin duck (we think female), one week old. Normally they stay in their box on a heating pad at night, and wander around on the floor with us during the day.

I am very overloaded with all the information about caring for all these birds. Please point me in the right direction to make sure she is well.

Thank you for your time.
--Michael

I am not the person to answer this but it sounds like there may be something stuck in the beak. Maybe even a thorn or sticker. It could be a stick in there sideways. It could be too far back for the little guy to get out.
That's my best guess.
smile.png

Anyway .... here's a bump

Hope it gets you an answer from someone with an answer

I'm on my second spring of raising ducklings. I'm not sure I can say that I've encountered that. Hopefully someone else will see this and be able to help.

I have picked up a duckling right after they drank and had it spit up water on me.
hu.gif

Thank you for your responses.

There doesn't appear to be anything in her beak or crop that is bothering her.
We just make sure they have a heating pad during the night -- but they stay with us in our room where it is pretty warm at night anyway... They will move where it is most comfortable to them.

She is still a bit warm, and she has been sneezing a bit. Can it be she just has a cold?

Back
Top Bottom