White leg horn fine yesterday, today she is dying

Guard1an86

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2020
Jacksonville Fl
Hey guys, so yesterday all of our birds, where happy and active, 1 white pekin duck, 3 white leg horns, 1 half and half white leg horn half black astralop, and 2 full black astalops, ages very but they are all around 1.5 to 2 years old.

The chicken in question is rebel, a year and a half old white leg horn, yesterday she was fine and sassy, today (here in wet and cold jacksonville fl). I just went to check on them and she was laying down, very lethargic, still moving but barely, neck was very floppy,, very cold, so we brought her inside, gave her a warm bath, now she is wrapped in a towel with a cloth covered heating pad under her on medium heat. Keeping her eyes closed mostly but opens them when we move her around.

No noticeable swelling any where including her eyes, so visible signs of attack from the other hens or duck, no discoloration or swelling at the base of her feathers, just trying to get her warmed up and dry right now.

We are very concerned for both her and the rest of our small flock and have no idea where to start in terms of figuring out what it is and how to treat it.

Their feed is nutrinia nature wise layer feed with a sprinkle of flock party meal worms as a special treat,

Thank you for any and all help

-Mike

20240116_184247.jpg

Do you have any poultry vitamins and or electrolytes you can get into her? Offer her some in a dish and if she isn’t able to drink herself, use a dropper to drop a few drops onto her beak and see if she’ll take them in that way.

I believe it’s a chicken hen?

Sorry I should have been clear as to why the ducks gender matters here.

If the duck is a drake and has free access to the chicken hens an attempt to mate with the chicken can be fatal as they are not compatible in that department.

Drakes have a penis roosters do not.

Since the chicken was fine yesterday and suddenly seriously compromised it's a possibility there has been injury.

Back
Top Bottom