Hurt leg, odd breathing 😰

Sm_chicks

Hatching
Feb 7, 2024
Hello! yesterday discovered our girl, around 18wks, was limping. Brought her in to observe and examine her. She let me pick her up easily, usually she doesn’t unless I have treats. Didn’t bawk at an examine, no popping or clicking heard when checking her leg. No swelling, warmth, redness. She was limping along to find bugs /food using her leg to rest on more than foot. Affected leg falling in towards the other at the joint when trying to walk. Ate & drank fine yesterday.

Slept in the coop & has been with me all day to rest and observe.

She’s not wanted to move around at all just laying in silence, occasionally standing, using wings to balance. Barely eating, drinking though (so poop consistency has changed throughout the day). Crop is now squishy. Sleeping most of the day. Occasionally breathing heavy. Still no swelling etc in leg. Seems like she in pain and it breaks my heart.

No mites, worms etc have been spotted in her or the others. No discharge from her eyes/nose/mputh.

Hoping to get her into the vet but who knows. Does anyone have any advice on what could be happening to her and/or what I can do to help her.

Attachments

• IMG_5516.jpeg
    IMG_5516.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 10
My heart goes out to her and you. We can only guess what could be wrong beginning with the simple and easily treatable, and if there is no improvement, we then assume the worst -an avian virus.

Your location and climate and current weather would be helpful information in coming up with likely causes. Sometimes sudden weather changes can cause electrolyte imbalance and lameness, imbalance, lethargy, and even paralysis can occur as symptoms. The treatment is electrolytes and added sugar in her water.

A vitamin deficiency can also cause these symptoms. The treatment is vitamin B complex and vitamin E with a sliver of selenium each day. Try this for four weeks before you give up on it.

If these fail, and she gets worse, then you should suspect a virus, Marek's or leucosis, and think about having a necropsy done on her if she becomes terminal. These viruses are contagious and would have implications for your entire flock.

Back
Top Bottom