Baby duck need help

We dunked his head he trying to open it on his own now that it’s not glued shut. He still has a great appetite

Usually, what we want for eyes is around 0.9% sodium chloride, the bottle you have is 5% sodium chloride. I've never used 5%, but I found a few studies done on dogs (not birds), where a 5% ophthalmic solution was applied to their eye, in one treatment every one hour, the other every two hours, to test for any changes in their corneal thickness, and morphology, as well as signs of toxicity, and very little changes were observed in the study.

" Results: Treatment with 5% NaCl resulted in a 12 μm decrease in corneal thickness from baseline (P < .001), while there was no significant difference in corneal thickness between values obtained at baseline and following treatment with AT (P = .82). Epithelial cell density significantly increased from baseline (530 ± 52 cells/mm2 ) to 577 ± 43 and 567 ± 15 cells/mm2 with 5% NaCl and AT, respectively (P = .003 and .005, respectively). However, keratocyte cell density in the anterior and posterior stroma and endothelial cell density did not significantly differ following treatment with 5% NaCl or AT ointment (P > .05).

Conclusions: Short-term topical treatment with 5% NaCl decreased corneal thickness in normal dogs with no observable changes in corneal morphology or signs of ocular toxicity."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29927055/

According to Plumbs Veterinary Drug Hand Book 11th edition,

" In veterinary patients, hypertonic sodium chloride is used for the temporary reduction of corneal edema and associated bullous keratopathy, superficial corneal erosions, and chronic corneal edema that develop due to endothelial dysfunction induced by a variety of causes. Reduction of edema is short-lived; however, the reduction may be sufficient to favorably impact corneal activity."

I was unable to find any serious side effects listed in most veterinary patients, so I think its safe to say we can extrapolate its use in dogs/cats to birds. You should only need to apply it a few times a day.

I was convinced to get this special needs duck & got another one in addition. Well the special needs duck died & now I just have the one duckling and I don’t know what to do & what not to do. He seems worried when I leave him he won’t eat or drink unless I’m there or feed him from my hand. I just learned on this blog that I can’t keep him on cedar shaving (which he’s been on for the last two days. He seems to have a slight infection in his eye from some dog hair that got in there this afternoon while he was at work with me in my pocket. I recently put a small hand towel over him and he seems more settled but I’m worried
Welcome to BYC!

I wanted to thank everyone for all their advice, my duck aka Lilly is ok still alive but the infected eye I’m pretty sure she’s going to be blind in fir the rest of her life. We’re now dealing with a hurt leg that I’m worried about but fingers crossed she’ll be ok because I LOVE her. Since the eye thing she’s been with my every day at work because I was worried about the big ducks running her over. Well for the first time ever the other night I had to put her out with them for a few hrs & when I got home she couldn’t really walk on both legs. Please send good thoughts

I wanted to thank everyone for all their advice, my duck aka Lilly is ok still alive but the infected eye I’m pretty sure she’s going to be blind in fir the rest of her life. We’re now dealing with a hurt leg that I’m worried about but fingers crossed she’ll be ok because I LOVE her. Since the eye thing she’s been with my every day at work because I was worried about the big ducks running her over. Well for the first time ever the other night I had to put her out with them for a few hrs & when I got home she couldn’t really walk on both legs. Please send good thoughts
:hugs Have you posted in our Emergency forums yet?

Do you have any updated pictures of her eye?

If you have a video of her walking, or trying to, that would be helpful. It may be best to post a new thread over on the ER forums, or the Duck forums. I'll watch for your thread.

Back
Top Bottom