Baby duckling wont open eye

incubatorchick

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
I hatched some duck two days ago and they are now in the brooder with some chicks I went out this evening to check on them and one of the ducklings had its eye shut When i opened it clear liquid came out I wiped it off with some warm water but i don't know if there is anything else i could do Could i make a saline solution for it or just keep wiping it off with warm water?

I've dealt with this, but in my case, the duckling was blind on that side anyway.

I used saline solution and Vetericyn eye gel. The saline solution helped get the eye uncrusted and open and then applied the Vetericyn.

It's probably a clogged tear duct.

Saline solution gently syringed in eye has worked wonders for my Hissy who gets messy eye during temp changes, pollen, etc. and I apply a small amount of neo (not the kind for pain) around the eye area it seems to keep eye moist. Veterycin is very good but a little pricy but its a great multi purpose wound spray you can spray right into eyes.

Wanted to pop in to report that I'm dealing with a baby with both tear ducts infected now. This has been a bad week for me duck health wise. I already had to quarantine a drake with an eye infection this week.

I've got an email out to an avian vet to see if he can recommend anything other than what I'm doing. For now, cleaning the pus and crust away, flushing with saline solution and as of tonight giving a broad spectrum oral antibiotic because that's what I have on hand.

Will pop in and share what the vet has to say when he gets back to me.

Back
Top Bottom