Duck with eye injury

ShelbyCiave

Chirping
May 17, 2022
San Diego; CA
Hello everyone! Hope all is well! It’s been a while since I have posted. I guess “No news is good news” until now. Yesterday I noticed one of my free ranging blue Swedish ducks was keeping her eye shut. Upon further inspection, she keeps both eyelids shut on her right eye and gunky white goop is oozing out of her eye.

I did a warm compress, flushed her eye with a saline solution, and then added some vetericyn eye gel. I repeated this process again a few times today and plan to continue doing so. She still has her eye, I’m assuming it’s badly injured. I want to know if anyone has seen this before, and if it’s something worse that requires a vet trip. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7183.jpeg
    IMG_7183.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7184.jpeg
    IMG_7184.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 20
she might lose sight in that one eye, looks similar to what happened to one of my ducks couple years ago . you’re doing the right home treatments, the only thing you could do more I think would be to take her to a vet I did take mine to the avian vet and he gave 2 kinds of eye drops one kind was for reducing inflammation and pain, the other was an antibiotic. she still has the eye but it’s a whitish gray color and i have to occasionally give her drops. i use colloidal silver now because the prescription eyedrops were just too expensive to keep buying

she might lose sight in that one eye, looks similar to what happened to one of my ducks couple years ago . you’re doing the right home treatments, the only thing you could do more I think would be to take her to a vet I did take mine to the avian vet and he gave 2 kinds of eye drops one kind was for reducing inflammation and pain, the other was an antibiotic. she still has the eye but it’s a whitish gray color and i have to occasionally give her drops. i use colloidal silver now because the prescription eyedrops were just too expensive to keep buying
Ah bummer! All the avian vets around me are pretty far and booked out for weeks. I just hope at some point she will be able to open her eye. I just am so curious as to how it happened. I feel bad for her, but it does make it easier to catch her… she is still eating and drinking fine. The rest of the flock does very minor bullying, but other than that she is making it around fine. Thanks for the input!

She may have gotten poked in the eye no telling they stick their heads any place they can. You’re doing a good job treating her. Hopefully she won’t lose her eye sight but if she does I have a Muscovy ( hawk attack ) and a Runner ( have no idea) blind in one of their eyes are both are doing great.

She may have gotten poked in the eye no telling they stick their heads any place they can. You’re doing a good job treating her. Hopefully she won’t lose her eye sight but if she does I have a Muscovy ( hawk attack ) and a Runner ( have no idea) blind in one of their eyes are both are doing great.
I’m thinking she got poked in the eye also. It’s a relief to know that IF she ends up losing her eyesight she will be okay. Thank you so much for the reply!

I just had this problem with one of my ducks a few days ago. First three days I tried what you did (kept her inside, washed out her eye several times, removed the white stuff with a cottonswab which I first cleaned with boiled water) without any improvement. Luckily I found a vet who was willing to prescribe an ointment. This was the first time ever a vet wanted to do something for my ducks so I was really happy... After two days ( today) she is completely herself again #blessed!

Good luck with your Duck! Do you know if she still can see trough that eye?

Please keep us updated on how she is and once you can get a good look at her eye.

Main thing is to keep from getting an infection hopefully with all your doing it won't. If you have Terramycin eye ointment you might want to use it too since it has antibiotics in it.
I will go back to the feed store to get some terramycin. This morning when I captured her to treat her eye, the white goop had a very subtle greenish tint. When the hoop was white, I wasn’t as stressed for infection.

Do you have any drakes? I have had this a couple times and it was always caused by drakes bumping the eye with the side of their bills (hill rakers) during mating or fighting. If so, keep her away from them for a few days. On mine, I used saline and Terramycin gel. All recovered and did not lose sight.
I do have drakes and that’s definitely a possibility for her injury as well. I’ve been keeping her away with another hen for now. Today her eye looked a little worse so hopefully once I get terramycin it’ll help.

Back
Top Bottom