Do you have Terramycin eye ointment? First rinse with a saline rinse for eyes (recipes online) then use the terramycin.
656A2A09-15E0-48B7-A739-6DCA1D7468AF.jpeg
I got that picture of her finally. I started rinsing it with saline and I did treat her with terramycin but it looks really REALLY bad, though this picture makes it look a bit worse than it is. Her other eye is completely normal. Lot of missing feathers from over mating. I want to wipe away the gunk around the swollen part but she’s being very uncooperative about the whole thing. Gonna keep rinsing with saline and try to get the gunk out and see if that clears it up at all. She’s still eating/drinking fine and has no respiratory illness symptoms thankfully.

Hopefully after a few days of treating you'll see improvement. Bless her heart that looks painful.
It must be. She’s hissing at me if I get too close to it but hopefully it’s helping anyway. Poor baby. I’ve had her for ten years and she’s never been so touchy. Certainly doesn’t look any worse this morning thankfully, though I wouldn’t say it looks better. She’s a little more cheery now it seems. Not hissing as much. I took her off eggs so that may be adding to it. If she doesn’t have any improvement by Monday or Tuesday I’m gonna bring her into the vet. I’m praying something works at least. I still can’t get that gunk off, it’s too solid. I’m hoping it helps some of the irritation when I finally do.

Wrap her in a towel so you have better control and try some saline compresses on her eye. That should help loosen the gunk. Or just some warm water compresses. Removing her from the drakes and letting her recover is going to help a lot. 10 yrs. Bless her heart. I have 3 Muscovy females that I am keeping separated from my Runner drake because he runs them down and they are soon to be 11 and 12 yrs old and don't need this. My Muscovy drake does not defend his girls :rolleyes:

Wrap her in a towel so you have better control and try some saline compresses on her eye. That should help loosen the gunk. Or just some warm water compresses. Removing her from the drakes and letting her recover is going to help a lot. 10 yrs. Bless her heart. I have 3 Muscovy females that I am keeping separated from my Runner drake because he runs them down and they are soon to be 11 and 12 yrs old and don't need this. My Muscovy drake does not defend his girls :rolleyes:
Will try the warm water, thanks. I did a saline one already and it didn’t budge. Yeah she’s part of my original flock. The only one left. She has one boy that would always defend her but unfortunately a mink got in my coop and killed the majority of them, including him. The only two males I have left are relentless and I only have two girls left. She’s by far the favorite. I’m trying to get my hands on more girls but it’s difficult where I live. I’m hoping she gets broody again after all this because the other girl never has. Maybe re-increasing my flock size will prevent this from happening again. She was one of the only ones I ever named because her quack sounds like a squeaky hinge so she was easy to tell from the rest. She’s just extra special. I want to squeeze as many years out of her as I can. Your poor girls. The males can be so mean sometimes.

You could always order just females and after they are 4 months old they can go in with the drakes and hopefully, she will have a better chance of not being the favorite any longer. Make drake jail many here do this to protect their females over breeding season.

You could always order just females and after they are 4 months old they can go in with the drakes and hopefully, she will have a better chance of not being the favorite any longer. Make drake jail many here do this to protect their females over breeding season.
I’ve been looking but haven’t had any luck finding any females nearby. She’s made a full recovery and rejoined the flock! She’s now sitting on some fertile eggs so hopefully I’ll be able to reestablish some of my flock size. Unfortunately even when I had a bunch females she was STILL the favorite alongside two others but the male that was causing the trouble is in duck jail for the time being so her feathers can finish growing back. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom