Help injured/ sick? Duck!

SierraP67

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2024
A friend of mine has a duck, this duck was recently found flopping around in the run, now she’s hardly eating or drinking , can’t walk and keeps gasping, my friend saw a little bit of blood in one eye, and we are at a loss on what’s wrong with this poor bird and how to help her.
I believe it’s been about a week like this.
I will attach a video I of the gasping one w I figure out how
IMG_4692.jpeg
IMG_4693.jpeg

Could she have been attacked by a predator? did your friend look her over for wounds or any injuries to her legs feeling for broken bones etc? Does the friend have drakes If so how many and how many females? could she have been over-mated? Does the duck normally lay eggs?
What all has she done so far to help her duck? Meds, vet ?

:welcome

Could she have been attacked by a predator? did your friend look her over for wounds or any injuries to her legs feeling for broken bones etc? Does the friend have drakes If so how many and how many females? could she have been over-mated? Does the duck normally lay eggs?
What all has she done so far to help her duck? Meds, vet ?

:welcome
Not a predator, her area as far as I know is a covered deck area, she said her partner went out and saw her flapping around on the ground with the other birds just watching her
I don’t know for sure what all her birds are, she has some other girls, geese and at least one boy I think,
she doesn’t have any visible injuries legs aren’t broken but seems like it’s the right leg she has the most issues with, we live in different countries so I’m not actually there, she’s tried giving mushed foods, peas, mealworms anything ducks are normally interested in,
Coconut oil, mushy thin dog food, medicated fish food with oxytetracycline and nutrients in her water, lots of electrolytes, ordered baytril because she though she had pneumonia (I don’t think the baytril has actually arrived in mail yet) she’s also brought her outside who have some fresh air and sun.
unfortunately that’s really all the info I have at the moment I can get more info from her later. I just want to see the duck get better if she can

Edit to add, there are no vets around her either, she did email one because a friend told her it’s possible she was crushed by a goose and may have a punctured or collapsed lung or leaking air sacs, but she hasn’t heard anything back from the emailed vet.

A friend of mine has a duck, this duck was recently found flopping around in the run, now she’s hardly eating or drinking , can’t walk and keeps gasping, my friend saw a little bit of blood in one eye, and we are at a loss on what’s wrong with this poor bird and how to help her.
I believe it’s been about a week like this.
I will attach a video I of the gasping one w I figure out how
View attachment 3775522View attachment 3775523
This duck need alot of care..she cant walk for alot of reason not enough food which lead to not enough energy and also not enough niacin (vitamin b complex)…to treat this you need liquid vitamin b complex and you must put 1 ml on food,water or treats but you first need to know that if her leg isn’t broken or doesn’t have broken joint or slipped tendons or sprains..and you say that your duck doesn’t eat or drink right? Usually this a disease called avian cholera..in that case you need to force her to eat and get antibiotics asap Give her something like Poultry Nutri-Drench in her water to help get her some nutrition..about her eye THIS IS VERY URGENT!!!!..you need to get her antibiotic eye ointment and put it 2-3 times daily depending on severity..eyes are very important to ducks and if you leave her eye like this.. it can lead to increased intraocular pressure, which can result in permanent vision loss!!! 🚨🚨.. about your duck gasping…this condition occurs when ducks inhale spores produced by the mold (fungi) Aspergillus (Aspergillus fumigatus is the common species) that grows on damp straw or feed..

Last edited:
That could be a possibility if the goose got hold of her on solid ground.
Doing the Baytril may help if it is an infection.
Here is info on air sac infection
she may use this to determine if this could be the cause
http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue178.htm

Your friend can make a saline solution [recipes online] to rinse out her eyes if she is seeing infection in her eye Terramycin eye ointment is a good product to have on hand.

Hopefully, the vet will be in touch with her soon.
Have her also talk to the vet about tube feeding.

Last edited:
This duck need alot of care..she cant walk for alot of reason not enough food which lead to not enough energy and also not enough niacin (vitamin b complex)…to treat this you need liquid vitamin b complex and you must put 1 ml on food,water or treats but you first need to know that if her leg isn’t broken or doesn’t have broken joint or slipped tendons or sprains..and you say that your duck doesn’t eat or drink right? Usually this a disease called avian cholera..in that case you need to force her to eat and get antibiotics asap Give her something like Poultry Nutri-Drench in her water to help get her some nutrition..about her eye THIS IS VERY URGENT!!!!..you need to get her antibiotic eye ointment and put it 2-3 times daily depending on severity..eyes are very important to ducks and if you leave her eye like this.. it can lead to increased intraocular pressure, which can result in permanent vision loss!!! 🚨🚨.. about your duck gasping…this condition occurs when ducks inhale spores produced by the mold (fungi) Aspergillus (Aspergillus fumigatus is the common species) that grows on damp straw or feed..
The blood in the eye was only seen once. It’s gone and has been gone for a while.

That could be a possibility if the goose got hold of her on solid ground.
Doing the Baytril may help if it is an infection.
Here is info on air sac infection
she may use this to determine if this could be the cause
http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue178.htm

Your friend can make a saline solution [recipes online] to rinse out her eyes if she is seeing infection in her eye Terramycin eye ointment is a good product to have on hand.

Hopefully, the vet will be in touch with her soon.
Have her also talk to the vet about tube feeding.
She only saw blood in the eye once so we thought it was head trauma, but it’s gone and has been gone.
As for the tube feeding she did consider doing that but didn’t want to stress the duck out if she’s already stressed or struggling

Back
Top Bottom