Baby ducks are moving around in egg, are they gonna hatch soon?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
Hi, I don’t have an exact time zone bc the mom is a fantastic mom and I let her keep the eggs (considering she chased out a whole ass goat repeatedly for getting even a whiff near her eggs)

So, I was checking them for the first time and they’re dark, veins, and moving. Are they gonna hatch soon? Mother is a Kiki Campbell x possible mallard and father is a unknown pekin mix

Edit: there’s one darker than the rest, does that mean anything?
IMG_9432.jpeg

Hi, I don’t have an exact time zone bc the mom is a fantastic mom and I let her keep the eggs (considering she chased out a whole ass goat repeatedly for getting even a whiff near her eggs)

So, I was checking them for the first time and they’re dark, veins, and moving. Are they gonna hatch soon? Mother is a Kiki Campbell x possible mallard and father is a unknown pekin mix

Edit: there’s one darker than the rest, does that mean anything? View attachment 3718237
Air cell size is the best way to tell usually. If you could get clear candling pics that would help, but if she's that aggressive that might not work.
The darker one is probably dead. Usually they get dark when the veins break down and start decomposing. They'll likely take around 28 days to hatch, so almost a month. Ducks are slow, lol.

New, all eggs in that clutch opened/exploded 😞 should I get rid of the dark egg then? I’m so nervous about this clutch doing the same as the first..
Ohh ok. How soon after that clutch were these laid roughly?

Don't discard it yet, if you can post candling pics of that one I can tell you if it's dead.
The exploded on their own? Did something get into them? It takes a long long time for eggs to go bad enough to explode.

Don't discard it yet, if you can post candling pics of that one I can tell you if it's dead.
The exploded on their own? Did something get into them? It takes a long long time for eggs to go bad enough to explode.
Well I was thinking that or my other drakes ate them or my brat of a ex-goat(got rid of him) fell onto them bc he’d always jump ontop of the crate she was in. Either way, since then she’s super super aggressive towards anything near her nest, vs how if you went up to her nest with the clutch before, she wouldn’t care and instead leave it

Another update on that egg, I candled it and it looks very yolk like and not like it has a baby

Attachments

• IMG_9679.jpeg
    IMG_9679.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9681.jpeg
    IMG_9681.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9682.jpeg
    IMG_9682.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom