Baby ducks has a hurt leg! Help I don't want him in pain!

magz21

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
My baby mallard is 2 weeks old and and we think someone grabbed him weird cause once he was put back in his cage his foot was crumpled and was putting no weight on it. It had been 2 days. His leg seem swollen. When you put him in water he does not try and swim with it. Will it ever heal? Will it heal wrong ? Do I splint it? Should I separate them? There is only two baby's. Please help thanks!

My baby mallard is 2 weeks old and and we think someone grabbed him weird cause once he was put back in his cage his foot was crumpled and was putting no weight on it. It had been 2 days. His leg seem swollen. When you put him in water he does not try and swim with it. Will it ever heal? Will it heal wrong ? Do I splint it? Should I separate them? There is only two baby's. Please help thanks!

Someone grabbed him before or after you brought him home,?please when children are holding ducklings if this was the case, they need constant supervision and guidance on how to treat the ducklings. can you put the duckling in warm water with just enough to float and see if it's moving it's leg and foot at all. then when you take them out be sure to get them under heat right away to keep them from chilling. also get some reg. niacin 100-150meg and start putting it into their water capsule to 1 gal then into their waterer. refreshing as needed. niacin can help with leg problems and even though this is an injury it could still lend support with healing. other than keeping duckling warm and making sure it can have some water therapy I'd say it's a waiting game now to see how it does. Hopefully with time it will work itself out. Make sure when placing ducklings in warm water that the water doesn't cool down too much to keep them from chilling while in the water too, and i wouldn't separate it will just add more stress.

welcome-byc.gif

There was no children around. No really sure how it happened they had just been in water and we took them out and noticed that he was limping no weight was put on it and looks like it swollen maybe. He will walk on one leg to get to food and water. Thanks for the help!

There was no children around. No really sure how it happened they had just been in water and we took them out and noticed that he was limping no weight was put on it and looks like it swollen maybe. He will walk on one leg to get to food and water. Thanks for the help!

Don't let him have alot of space to run around, rest is his best friend now, other than time in warm water for therapy. also some poultry vitamins for immune support would be good, If you notice the leg very hot to touch then their could be infection and he will most likely need medical attention. I'll be
fl.gif
you that the lil ones gets better quickly.

Even though it is still crumpled he pushes it around in water

Even though it is still crumpled he pushes it around in water

Well he's using it so that means he's got feeling in it. so just keep him as quiet as you can for a few days, and lots of swim time. and hopefully it will work itself out.here is a link that may give you some ideas on how to help your lil one.. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/

Scroll all the way down and you'll see treatment for leg problems.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom