Baby ducks walking funny/ clumsy

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
Hey Everyone,

I hatched a couple Pekin ducks about a month and a half ago along with some chicks. Ducklings I've noticed lay down a lot and when they walk they're kind of clumsy like their legs are stiff and they step on their own feet. I've been feeding them a flock raiser for chicks and ducks and they also have access now to adult mix flock feed. I've also been putting tuna fish and peas for niacin to see if it helps. So far just the chicks seem to be interested in it so I think I may separate them at this point and get them some brewers yeast. Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Thanks

Have you tried giving them extra vitamins through a water supplement or anything? Could possibly be lacking energy or a deficiency of some kind. Sorry I can't be more help.

Hey Everyone,

I hatched a couple Pekin ducks about a month and a half ago along with some chicks. Ducklings I've noticed lay down a lot and when they walk they're kind of clumsy like their legs are stiff and they step on their own feet. I've been feeding them a flock raiser for chicks and ducks and they also have access now to adult mix flock feed. I've also been putting tuna fish and peas for niacin to see if it helps. So far just the chicks seem to be interested in it so I think I may separate them at this point and get them some brewers yeast. Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Thanks
Pekins being a larger breed and having faster growth rates require more niacin than the average duck. What brand of feed are you feeding or do you know the niacin levels? I would recommend going to your local farm store and picking up some DurVet B complex. It might not be in the poultry section as it's used for different types of livestock. Give 1ml per day over food you know they will for sure eat and you can make sure every drop is consumed. If you know how to give oral medication or injections it can also be given that way as well, but I would not recommend those unless you are comfortable doing so.

Have you tried giving them extra vitamins through a water supplement or anything? Could possibly be lacking energy or a deficiency of some kind. Sorry I can't be more help.
I gave them probiotic and electrolytes when they first hatched but not anymore. I'll mix some up and start doing it again. I also put the tun water in with the water in their bowl so they get a little something when they drink

Pekins being a larger breed and having faster growth rates require more niacin than the average duck. What brand of feed are you feeding or do you know the niacin levels? I would recommend going to your local farm store and picking up some DurVet B complex. It might not be in the poultry section as it's used for different types of livestock. Give 1ml per day over food you know they will for sure eat and you can make sure every drop is consumed. If you know how to give oral medication or injections it can also be given that way as well, but I would not recommend those unless you are comfortable doing so.
I can't remember what brand honestly I got it from tractor supply so I feel like it may have been purina flock raiser? I plan on going back into town and getting some brewers yeast I'll also look for the DurVet B that you recommended thank you! I also plan on separating them from the chicks.

So I wanted to update and ask another question..I got duck food and just mixed it in with the chick food 50/50 and I bought some electrolyte packages. One duck seems to be doing much better but the other one is a little further along I think because it's feet turn in and it's constantly stepping on them and plopping down. For the life of me I can't find brewers yeast ANYWHERE so I'm just going to order some online. My question is..would nutritional yeast be better than brewers yeast? Looking into it I read that brewers yeast has 5mg or maybe grams( I can't remember exactly if it was mg or grams) of niacin for every 15 mg or grams of brewers yeast but nutritional yeast has 38 MG or grams of niacin for 1 tablespoon I think it said. But I also don't know how many grams or mg is in a tablespoon either lol. Is there a reason people use brewers yeast instead of nutritional yeast? Also could this little duck recover at this point or is it possible the damage is done and I can only keep it from getting worse?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nutritional-yeast-vs-brewers-yeast.1393856/
Yes get Nutritional yeast.
When one is already having issues it's best to buy liquid B complex and get them on it asap.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
I bought some off Amazon and will get it tomorrow. I seen a post AFTER I bought it that rooster booster has lots of niacin ( insert head bang on wall here) which I know they have at my local TSC so I'm on my way there now.. I'm sure it'll get all used up anyway so I'm not banging my head too hard lol

Back
Top Bottom