Baby ducks walking funny/ clumsy

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
Hey Everyone,

I hatched a couple Pekin ducks about a month and a half ago along with some chicks. Ducklings I've noticed lay down a lot and when they walk they're kind of clumsy like their legs are stiff and they step on their own feet. I've been feeding them a flock raiser for chicks and ducks and they also have access now to adult mix flock feed. I've also been putting tuna fish and peas for niacin to see if it helps. So far just the chicks seem to be interested in it so I think I may separate them at this point and get them some brewers yeast. Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Thanks

Hey Everyone,

I hatched a couple Pekin ducks about a month and a half ago along with some chicks. Ducklings I've noticed lay down a lot and when they walk they're kind of clumsy like their legs are stiff and they step on their own feet. I've been feeding them a flock raiser for chicks and ducks and they also have access now to adult mix flock feed. I've also been putting tuna fish and peas for niacin to see if it helps. So far just the chicks seem to be interested in it so I think I may separate them at this point and get them some brewers yeast. Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Thanks
Pekins being a larger breed and having faster growth rates require more niacin than the average duck. What brand of feed are you feeding or do you know the niacin levels? I would recommend going to your local farm store and picking up some DurVet B complex. It might not be in the poultry section as it's used for different types of livestock. Give 1ml per day over food you know they will for sure eat and you can make sure every drop is consumed. If you know how to give oral medication or injections it can also be given that way as well, but I would not recommend those unless you are comfortable doing so.

I just patched up the pond in the yard it's got a 'kiddie pool' and the 'big bird pool'. I put them in and they jumped out so quick you'd think I dropped them in a boiling pot! They did eventually figure the kiddie pool side out but it's too shallow for swimming. I'll need to get them used to the big bird part of it.

Attachments

• 20220623_150505.jpg
    20220623_150505.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220623_150413.jpg
    20220623_150413.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, you just want to make sure that the needy ducks are getting the complete dose each day! Good luck, I hope this turns things around for you. They definitely go through a stage where they hate getting caught - just keep giving them treats and being patient and spending lots of time. They'll come around!
This is the 2nd set of pekins for me. My 2 adult pekins, Peaches and Waffles, used to follow me everywhere. Peaches the female will come eat from my hand still and Waffles will run after me and try to herd me up with Peaches like I'm one of his ducks😂 I've spent just as much time with these 2 and even though I can catch them easy ( I'm guessing cause of their legs) they won't follow me they try and run away. It really frustrates me that they make food that doesnt have the required nutrients for the animal it's intended for.

Pekins being a larger breed and having faster growth rates require more niacin than the average duck. What brand of feed are you feeding or do you know the niacin levels? I would recommend going to your local farm store and picking up some DurVet B complex. It might not be in the poultry section as it's used for different types of livestock. Give 1ml per day over food you know they will for sure eat and you can make sure every drop is consumed. If you know how to give oral medication or injections it can also be given that way as well, but I would not recommend those unless you are comfortable doing so.
I can't remember what brand honestly I got it from tractor supply so I feel like it may have been purina flock raiser? I plan on going back into town and getting some brewers yeast I'll also look for the DurVet B that you recommended thank you! I also plan on separating them from the chicks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nutritional-yeast-vs-brewers-yeast.1393856/
Yes get Nutritional yeast.
When one is already having issues it's best to buy liquid B complex and get them on it asap.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
I bought some off Amazon and will get it tomorrow. I seen a post AFTER I bought it that rooster booster has lots of niacin ( insert head bang on wall here) which I know they have at my local TSC so I'm on my way there now.. I'm sure it'll get all used up anyway so I'm not banging my head too hard lol

I couldn't find liquid b complex at tsc they had a liquid b12 or poultry cell. The rooster booster poultry booster has 1000 mg of niacin for the whole 1.25 lb container. It says do a scoop for 1 lb of food. I put more than that for the first time in their adult duck food so I hope it gives them a quick boost. I'm hoping the nutritional yeast can be mixed with water so they get a niacin supplement in both.

Back
Top Bottom