Baby goat dis-budding

Bigwig

Songster
5 Years
Jan 8, 2015
NC
After I dis-bud a baby goat, is it okay to let its mother smell it? or will she reject it?

That should be fine. She will remember her baby! You may want to disbud babies away from mom if she has a tendency to be aggressive though. Baby goats can scream! This could upset her, but it depends on the personality of the goat.

That should be fine. She will remember her baby! You may want to disbud babies away from mom if she has a tendency to be aggressive though. Baby goats can scream! This could upset her, but it depends on the personality of the goat.

I always give the kid back rear end first. That way, the doe smells her kid rather than burned hair and skin.

Last edited:
When I dis-budded my two bucklings this morning the horn buds stade on. Is this normal?

How did you disbud them?
We used a Rinehart x50a electric disbudding iron and held it on each horn bud for about five seconds (it was 1000 degrees so we did not need to keep it on as long as we would have with other, cooler dis-budding irons). The result was a copper colored ring around each horn bud and a black ,partially disintegrated, horn bud.

As long as the bud was singed, it should be fine. The disbudding equipment I used had a little scoop on the end which we used to scoop out the burnt tissue. The tissue should fall off soon enough. The trick is to cauterize the cells that differentiate into horn tissue to prevent them from growing.

As long as the bud was singed, it should be fine. The disbudding equipment I used had a little scoop on the end which we used to scoop out the burnt tissue. The tissue should fall off soon enough. The trick is to cauterize the cells that differentiate into horn tissue to prevent them from growing.

Thanks!!

What I always do is after how ever many seconds needed for a copper ring, as I"m removing the iron, I just drag it across the horn bud and give it a little flick. That pops the top off, then you can hold your iron over that part (it may bleed just a touch) and burn off the actual horn bud. They don't holler when you touch that part with the iron. That's how I was taught to do it, right or wrong, I don't know. It gives them a nice flat head.

I guess I'll add this disclaimer to my posts for awhile... Apparently I've been labeled as a "troublemaker" by some who follow this section of the forum. I'm not really sure why. So, if you don't want my opinion left on your post, please contact me directly and I will delete it at as soon as I possibly can. I am, however, not going to let them stop me from trying to help people who need assistance with their goats. I will reiterate though, my posts are my opinions. If you want them removed, don't' call me a bully (seriously?) and a troublemaker. Talk to me like an adult, and we'll resolve whatever difference that has arisen like adults.

Back
Top Bottom