Baby Gosling is being attacked by my ducks

Our ducks attacked our goslings too at first. We kept them near each other but separated for a week or so and then put them together and they were fine. They need to SAFELY get to know each other.
If your goslings are small, try putting them in a small wire animal cage-we used a guinea pig cage. The wire keeps them safe yet they can all see each other and get used to each other.

Good luck!

My ducks still attack the geese during breeding season. We keep them separated except for the coldest part of winter when they are all happy to snuggle. We can't let them all out together from early spring until early fall because the drakes will relentlessly try to mount the geese - male & female geese. My geese have never had any success with their broods and I wonder if the stress the ducks bring has had an effect on them. In fact, when its time to break up the nest, I always break the eggs and there has never been a fertile one.

My ducks still attack the geese during breeding season. We keep them separated except for the coldest part of winter when they are all happy to snuggle. We can't let them all out together from early spring until early fall because the drakes will relentlessly try to mount the geese - male & female geese. My geese have never had any success with their broods and I wonder if the stress the ducks bring has had an effect on them. In fact, when its time to break up the nest, I always break the eggs and there has never been a fertile one.
That's too bad, but if your keeping them separated during mating season then hopefully that will help with stress and maybe next season some goslings.. My geese rule the property and keep the drakes in check although my gander and drake have gotten into it, right now the gander is once again in charge, but drakes have never tried to mate with the geese. What breed of geese do you have and ducks?

My geese are Toulouse - I have two sets male and female. The ducks are both Indian Runner drakes. - Amazing, but those tiny ducks lead the pack with the geese. The first two geese and the ducks were bought on the same day at two days old. That bunch doesn't know they aren't siblings. The second set of geese were a few weeks old when we got them the following spring. Our original geese were thrilled when we brought the babies home. They puffed up, paraded, taught and showed them all of there favorite places. They protected them from everyone and everything (especially us) but would not protect them from the ducks. Once they matured, the ducks took a liking to them and are especially fond of chasing the younger female around. They upset her often. My farm is pretty small. I don't eat geese, so I'm not really disappointed that they haven't had a successful hatch. At this point in my life, the geese are pretty much pets. I got the ducks because I wanted duck eggs....my luck they're drakes.

My geese are Toulouse - I have two sets male and female. The ducks are both Indian Runner drakes. - Amazing, but those tiny ducks lead the pack with the geese. The first two geese and the ducks were bought on the same day at two days old. That bunch doesn't know they aren't siblings. The second set of geese were a few weeks old when we got them the following spring. Our original geese were thrilled when we brought the babies home. They puffed up, paraded, taught and showed them all of there favorite places. They protected them from everyone and everything (especially us) but would not protect them from the ducks. Once they matured, the ducks took a liking to them and are especially fond of chasing the younger female around. They upset her often. My farm is pretty small. I don't eat geese, so I'm not really disappointed that they haven't had a successful hatch. At this point in my life, the geese are pretty much pets. I got the ducks because I wanted duck eggs....my luck they're drakes.
I don't eat any of my birds other than an over abundance of roosters. but I will not tolerate my drakes harassing any of my girls whether ducks or geese. I don't let mine hatch either, maybe one day again but I have enough for now. although I love babies. As long as your okay with the drakes running around chasing your geese then that's your choice.

agree about finding the home. Even offered them for free on Craigslist. At the last minute, my husband started worrying about them and couldn't let them go. Too bad for me, I took pot luck with those duck but didn't want one much less two drakes. If I wanted to get females now, I'd have to get a LOT of them to be able to put up with those two. Guess I'm just stuck. I also agree geese are gentle souls. I had one who would attack me. Learned how to take him down gently but firmly. Only had to do it a couple of times and now, saying no is all it takes. He gets pretty rowdy when the girls are sitting, but I figure its just more proof he's a good guy.
smile.png

I don't let the ducks chase them. I have a very large pen just for them with their own pool in it outside and a separate enclosure for them in the barn. When they get into their scrumpy moods the go to "duck jail". As the weather gets cooler, they cool off too. It takes a couple tries to see if they will behave and a couple weeks after that before Wanda will trust them again, but they're all happy together from fall until spring. Right now "duck jail" has been dismantled and is in the barn. Everyone is swimming and browsing together and very happy. Come April ... back the separation.

I don't let the ducks chase them. I have a very large pen just for them with their own pool in it outside and a separate enclosure for them in the barn. When they get into their scrumpy moods the go to "duck jail". As the weather gets cooler, they cool off too. It takes a couple tries to see if they will behave and a couple weeks after that before Wanda will trust them again, but they're all happy together from fall until spring. Right now "duck jail" has been dismantled and is in the barn. Everyone is swimming and browsing together and very happy. Come April ... back the separation.

Forgot to say, the ducks are so used to jail season, when they see their separate pens set up, the go to them automatically.

Forgot to say, the ducks are so used to jail season, when they see their separate pens set up, the go to them automatically.
lol.png
that's funny, I have goose jail for evenings so everyone else can eat in peace and go into their houses without being harassed by the goose patrol. Don't you love it when everyone gets along? my ducks [drakes] have now called a truce and can be in close proximity to each other Big sigh of relief.

lol.png
that's funny, I have goose jail for evenings so everyone else can eat in peace and go into their houses without being harassed by the goose patrol. Don't you love it when everyone gets along? my ducks [drakes] have now called a truce and can be in close proximity to each other Big sigh of relief.
All mine eat fairly well in peace, but I have to keep an eye on the chickens, they try to steal the gosling food. I put the smaller goslings in a separate pen so they can eat without the chickens muscling in, but the chickens still push in with the older goslings, so I have to hang around to get them out of the bowls. so here, it´s the chickesn that are the pests. They were in jail when the goslings were tiny.
lol.png

Two of my babies went to new home today.

Back
Top Bottom