Baby it's cold outside. And getting colder!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    we have a cold snap coming over the next few days. Day time temps in the teens. Night in the single to negative digits.

so the cages are set up in the basement and are ready for the girls.

They are far enough from the boiler etc. And are a the bottom of the stairs. Last night they spent the night in cages in the kitchen/dining area. I was amazed at how well they did.
    2 of the gentle/shy in ones in one cage and the head girl, my BIG BO and my other super friendly girl in the other larger one. Food but no water since I have no more rabbit waterers left.

so tonight after dark the dh and I will go out and get them and bring them in. Tomorrow I will go and turn them out in the morning, when the sun is up and its a bit warmer.

I have to say though. My dh LOVES me. To help me bring the girls in and only keep telling me just how much he loves me. Pretty good guy.
    he has told me that having them in the kitchen was a bit "strange" though. So he is going to be building a more permanent 'run" in the basement. [​IMG]

Audrey was kinda upset that she was locked in the cage though and not allowed out to roam the house like she normally does when she is in. But it was nice to have them all in and warmer than they would have been outside all night.

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    You're such a good mother hen.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

May 8, 2008
    Quote:my daughter was very happy to see the girls this morning when she came down. kid would prefer them to be in her room. [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    This cold weather is for the birds!!!! I love winter (just the snow part of it) but NOT this cold.

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

May 8, 2008
    Quote:I do not do winter. I lived in Maine for one winter and that was it for me. I was so happy when the ex got order to NC.
    To this day I am wondering what ever possessed me to move back North. granted it was "home" but I really do not like snow, ice and cold like this.

I was worried last night about the girls being in the kitchen since we have the radiator in there. I didnt want them to get too warm and then have me put them back outside into the colder air. so I turned down the radiator in that room last night before I went to bed.
    Still hoping they dont get sick though. But I put some vitamins in their drinking water this morning when I put them out. Maybe that iwll help some

6. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    In the teens?? I am jealous! it's -1 right now.... [​IMG]

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    -1 thats it?? It's -16 wait -14 now without the bitter windchill, gonna be like this all week. I won the battle last night between the hubby and I about bringing the chickens in the garage for the winter because it was getting to be a bit too much for my poor lil banties and my roo was starting to get frostbite on his comb. I had been getting 1 egg a day out of 7 hens outside. This morning i got 3 eggs already. It's between 40 and 50 degrees in the garage all winter plus heat lamps, they are really living large now and it's soo much easier to keep an eye on them and get the chores done without having to shovel a foot of snow just to get them fresh feed and water and having to worry about the heat lamp going out in the middle of the night. I won't mention the mess the garage will be in a week or so but at least i get to pull up a seat and hang out with them like i did in the spring, summer, and fall. Life is good in the frozen tundra [​IMG]

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

May 8, 2008
    Supposed to be even colder tomorrow and Thursday.
    Yippee.

I couldnt live in MN etc. No way. No how.

I think I am going to leave the girls in the house in their cages all day Wed and Thurs. I can lt them out to play when I get home from work.
    Thank goodness we dont have carpeting or a finished basement

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I'm in the Twin Cities and woke up this morning to -21F and FREAKED. Even with a 250 watt ceramic heat bulb, it was only 0 in my coop. I quickly set up a second red light and the temp went up to 20 inside. I'm sure my girls think they've been transported to the Bahamas and are currently working on their tans under that red light. Since it's only -6 as I write this at sunset, I'm getting concerned about what's going to happen tonight. They've been predicting some more snow, which means it should warm up (can't snow if it's too cold!).

10. ChickenMitch

ChickenMitch Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Georgia
    I have 37 chickens outside, it is suppose to be in the "teens" in Georgia this weekend. This is the lowest temperature that we have had since I got my chickens. Will they be able to withstand the frigid temperatures? I have a large tarp that I could throw over the top to cut down on the wind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by