baby mallards

barb040203

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
Hello my mallards eggs hatched this morning we have 5 babies following closely to momma i was wondering if i should remove the drake? He doesnt bother the babies at all so far the only thing he does is chase the mom around sometimes. I put food and water close to momma and some farther away for the other ducks. I have 1 male mallard 2 female mallards and 1 female pekin and now 5 sweet baby mallards.

You might want to consider separating the male not because he will hurt the babies, but because he distracts and chases the mother. This could put the risk of her babies getting hurt, accidentally.

Otherwise, I would keep a close eye on the family. He might calm down after a little while. I'm betting he's excited to see the mother duck again after she had been sitting on the nest for so long, so he's being a bit aggressive with her.

Ok thank you he hasnt really been bugging her now it was mainly in the morning, i have been watching them like a hawk all day lol

Probably best when they get bigger, like about 6-7 weeks old. That way, they are less likely to get injured and can get away from the drake on their own.

As with all duckling posts, we need pictures.
wink.png

I've always left them all together. The mother keeps them warm when nesting, both parents watch over them when there learning to eat and drink. they follow there mum and dad rounds up the stranglers or who wonders off. Sometimes it seems like they are being to rough, especially the male but there really just being protective. The mom can handle herself and chase the male off if he is to aggressive with her.

My female pekin seems to be attacking them, she had one pinned down yesterday is this normal? She is actually seperated but the baby slipped through one area in the fence that i used to separate the momma and her babies from the rest of the ducks. The male is actually pretty good with them i used a low fence to separate them so he flies over when he wants to seem them

Oh no! No, that's not good that the pekin is attacking them, even if they were grown. I would definitely keep her away. I've seen female ducks attack other ducklings on several occasions. When they are grown, they may be OK with each other.

Back
Top Bottom