baby muscovy duckling with possible eye infection, help!!!

emmading

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2021
i found my duck in the backyard with one eye closed and watery but the other eye was fine. he occasionally opens his watery eye then shuts it again .and my duck was fine a few hours ago and we do have tall long dried grass in our backyard. i’m thinking maybe he poked himself in the eye by the grass. we spotted a rat too, but we’re not sure what happened. please help me. we have no saline solution or any type of eye treatment. should i rinse his eye in water? what do i do!!!???? :(

Attachments

• 28132705-83A5-4466-8DC8-4EF947A4F5C3.jpeg
    28132705-83A5-4466-8DC8-4EF947A4F5C3.jpeg
    552.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 63155384-7F40-41BE-846E-2066D0FBAA9D.jpeg
    63155384-7F40-41BE-846E-2066D0FBAA9D.jpeg
    509.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 18378FB6-DFBA-47B2-8AA5-684F923DC1A1.jpeg
    18378FB6-DFBA-47B2-8AA5-684F923DC1A1.jpeg
    626.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2DCCF386-83F8-47FB-9C4E-90BCE6B963A8.jpeg
    2DCCF386-83F8-47FB-9C4E-90BCE6B963A8.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 25
You can make a saline solution at home. 1 tsp of salt per cup of water. The water should be like warm. You can apply it a 2-3 times a day. When my duckling had an issue, she showed improvement the next day, but took a few days before it fully healed.

I haven't dealt with this issue with my Muscovy; but with my other ducks, I would give them a warm bath to encourage cleaning the eye out.

You can also get an antibiotic for the eye as well if you want. Terramycin can be used to treat it. You can order it online without a prescription.

You can also use triple antibiotic ointment as well. Bacitracin is best but the triple will work in a pinch. You don't have to worry about getting it in the eye. Just put a glob on the eyelid. It will melt and run into the eye.

The homemade saline solution can be used as frequently as you want to wash the eye out.

Do not use commercial eyedrops like Murine. Just the saline wash and antibiotic ointment. At some point try to gently retract the lid so you can see the eye and check for any injuries.

Hope your baby gets to feeling better.

You can make a saline solution at home. 1 tsp of salt per cup of water. The water should be like warm. You can apply it a 2-3 times a day. When my duckling had an issue, she showed improvement the next day, but took a few days before it fully healed.

I haven't dealt with this issue with my Muscovy; but with my other ducks, I would give them a warm bath to encourage cleaning the eye out.

You can also get an antibiotic for the eye as well if you want. Terramycin can be used to treat it. You can order it online without a prescription.
okay thank you!! my mom wants to wait until tommorow to see progress. if it gets worse, i will make the salien solution thank you so much i will keep you updated

You can also use triple antibiotic ointment as well. Bacitracin is best but the triple will work in a pinch. You don't have to worry about getting it in the eye. Just put a glob on the eyelid. It will melt and run into the eye.

The homemade saline solution can be used as frequently as you want to wash the eye out.

Do not use commercial eyedrops like Murine. Just the saline wash and antibiotic ointment. At some point try to gently retract the lid so you can see the eye and check for any injuries.

Hope your baby gets to feeling better.
okay thank youuuuu my mom wants to see her progress until tommorow, so if it gets worse i’ll make the saline solution. i’ll keep you all updated thank you guys

You want to rinse the eye with saline. I like to use a syringe. Those nasal aspirators would work as well. Don't blast the eye, just keep a nice gentle flow of water. You could pour it on, but it wont be as effective getting in the eye.

You want to rinse the eye with saline. I like to use a syringe. Those nasal aspirators would work as well. Don't blast the eye, just keep a nice gentle flow of water. You could pour it on, but it wont be as effective getting in the eye.
my grandma told me to use a cotton swab is that ok

If there is something in the eye you need to flush it out. That requires a lot of fluids. A cotton swab will do little if anything.

Think about what we do if we get things in our eyes. You flush your eye with alot of liquids. With particularly bad things, you flush the eye with water for 10-15 minutes of water directly in the eye.

You would be better letting the duck take a bath then trying a cotton swab.

Back
Top Bottom