Debemia

Chirping
Aug 24, 2020
Hello there!

New here to the BYC forum but I've been reading for almost a year ❤ places like these have helped me a lot.

I guess a bit of an introduction: I'm 22 from South Florida and looooove animals. I've always had a dog and lots of fish, the occasional reptile or small furry mammal, and dream of having a little farm. Almost 2 years ago, I was given a piglet and watching her grow up to be the weirdest 'dog' ever😂 just makes me want to continue exploring the animal kingdom! I guess I just attract major responsibilities like a magnet haha.

In January this year, I tried hatching chicks in an incubator. I had no idea if they were all fertile or even if they would all hatch. I tried my luck with 11 eggs (10 white, 1 blue) hoping to have maybe 4 or 5. Then, 21 days later, I got 11... ALL ELEVEN babies! It was a crazy first few weeks for sure. They all got names almost instantly that, eerily, kind of match their personalities now and life is good. Also, I have no idea what was with those eggs because now they all lay cream and blue (no white eggs yet, strange). I digress...

Most of the babies all came out fully black. I have no idea of their breed but they resemble a Minorca mix best. Then a couple EE/Ameraucana (spelling?), I have no idea. As of a few weeks ago, two of my all black ones were still not laying. We awoke to weird sounds one morning and one of them was sprawled out on the floor, convulsing and paralyzed. Its a long story and we had no idea what was going on until it was too late but she was egg-bound and passed her first and final egg before passing away same day. One week later, it happened to my other chicken, but she was able to get through it with our new-found knowledge and is now laying regularly.

Anyway, the egg from our late chicken was fertile. I knew for sure our speckled beautiful roo Simba had mated with all the girls so we decided that Littlefoot's (that was the hens name) dying breath needed to be preserved. Weeks later, we now have a cute, spunky little girl that has from her mom and dad (and does not really act like a chicken haha). She flies around, yes flies! And jumps and is loud and sweet and healthy. But we dont have a name! Im attaching some photos 💗 would love suggestions because shes already getting so big.

Take care everyone
20200921_213146.jpg
20200921_214024.jpg
20200921_213554.jpg
20200921_213626.jpg

Hello there!

New here to the BYC forum but I've been reading for almost a year ❤ places like these have helped me a lot.

I guess a bit of an introduction: I'm 22 from South Florida and looooove animals. I've always had a dog and lots of fish, the occasional reptile or small furry mammal, and dream of having a little farm. Almost 2 years ago, I was given a piglet and watching her grow up to be the weirdest 'dog' ever😂 just makes me want to continue exploring the animal kingdom! I guess I just attract major responsibilities like a magnet haha.

In January this year, I tried hatching chicks in an incubator. I had no idea if they were all fertile or even if they would all hatch. I tried my luck with 11 eggs (10 white, 1 blue) hoping to have maybe 4 or 5. Then, 21 days later, I got 11... ALL ELEVEN babies! It was a crazy first few weeks for sure. They all got names almost instantly that, eerily, kind of match their personalities now and life is good. Also, I have no idea what was with those eggs because now they all lay cream and blue (no white eggs yet, strange). I digress...

Most of the babies all came out fully black. I have no idea of their breed but they resemble a Minorca mix best. Then a couple EE/Ameraucana (spelling?), I have no idea. As of a few weeks ago, two of my all black ones were still not laying. We awoke to weird sounds one morning and one of them was sprawled out on the floor, convulsing and paralyzed. Its a long story and we had no idea what was going on until it was too late but she was egg-bound and passed her first and final egg before passing away same day. One week later, it happened to my other chicken, but she was able to get through it with our new-found knowledge and is now laying regularly.

Anyway, the egg from our late chicken was fertile. I knew for sure our speckled beautiful roo Simba had mated with all the girls so we decided that Littlefoot's (that was the hens name) dying breath needed to be preserved. Weeks later, we now have a cute, spunky little girl that has from her mom and dad (and does not really act like a chicken haha). She flies around, yes flies! And jumps and is loud and sweet and healthy. But we dont have a name! Im attaching some photos 💗 would love suggestions because shes already getting so big.

Take care everyoneView attachment 2343712View attachment 2343713View attachment 2343714View attachment 2343715
Adorable! Not sure if this is a pullet or cockrel for a few more weeks, but definitely a sweetie. You should hatch at least two more eggs (with your success rate I would start with 5 in the incubator) so that she can grow up with them. Very pretty, my name suggestion is Poppy. I had a poppy who was so sweet, but died before she layed an egg thanks to a hawk.

Hello there!

Take care everyoneView attachment 2343712View attachment 2343713View attachment 2343714View attachment 2343715
Love your pictures they are so cute ❤ I’ve got three name suggestions (nugget, barbecue and omelette) p.s welcome to backyard chickens I really like that you have so many animals the pig in the first picture is really adorable xxx❤️

Adorable! Not sure if this is a pullet or cockrel for a few more weeks, but definitely a sweetie. You should hatch at least two more eggs (with your success rate I would start with 5 in the incubator) so that she can grow up with them. Very pretty, my name suggestion is Poppy. I had a poppy who was so sweet, but died before she layed an egg thanks to a hawk.

Thank you! I'm not 100% sure either but the wing method was almost spot on accurate for me last time so so far it could look like a girl. We'll see.
As for companions, trust me I could incubate left and right but I just wouldn't have enough space for them once they're of age 😩 I did find a reputable pet shop a ways away that had "yellow" chicks around the same age and picked up two. A family member was bummed out the first hatch because we didn't have poster model yellow 🐣 lol. So now there's 3 chicks.

Love your pictures they are so cute ❤ I’ve got three name suggestions (nugget, barbecue and omelette) p.s welcome to backyard chickens I really like that you have so many animals the pig in the first picture is really adorable xxx❤

Thank you 💗 I like nugget but ill definitely hear the jokes of people suggesting to eat my pets 👎🏼 haha. And yes, that piggy is a total ham! 😝

Thank you! I'm not 100% sure either but the wing method was almost spot on accurate for me last time so so far it could look like a girl. We'll see.
As for companions, trust me I could incubate left and right but I just wouldn't have enough space for them once they're of age 😩 I did find a reputable pet shop a ways away that had "yellow" chicks around the same age and picked up two. A family member was bummed out the first hatch because we didn't have poster model yellow 🐣 lol. So now there's 3 chicks.
Ok, I hope they know not every chick can cut it for baby Peking duck yellow! I’m glad you got a couple friends. I’m hoping for a pullet with you so let’s all cross our fingers :fl

I went way out when picking names for my babies... There's Geronimo (because of the way he jumps back into the brooder) Braveheart (the first to explore) GrayStoke, Hans Solo, Mara, Marnantha, etc.. Hopefully I'll remember them all by name as they get older.

I love it! They're all so clever. I also suggested Braveheart for this baby but got some opposition from others haha. I mostly went the Disney route myself:
Hercules (first born, boy), Rambo Kronk (crazy, last born, boy), Ducky (red waddle almost at birth, boy), Simba (colored, most outgoing, boy), Littlefoot (late girl), Tigerlily (shy, small girl), Mulan (girl), Bambi (EE girl), Eager (enough said, girl), Tiana 1 and Tiana 2 (still almost cant tell them apart, girls). Then I had to rehome 3 of the boys, it was a sad day and soon after picked up Ariel and Rapunzel, RIReds of the same age.

Hi there! I know its been a while but, just in case any of you were still curious, I'm wrapping up this thread.
Of the two "yellow" chicks I purchased, one was obviously weaker and only got worse :( it was eating and drinking but preferred to sleep and peep like a mad-woman if it was separated from the others. It passed away overnight within the week. Never even got a name :hit

I've inserted a pic of them as babies. And now the remaining two are just over 10 weeks old and they're so great! Much friendlier than my others. Ive even managed to put them in a harness for a bit!

Meet Tinkerbell Raven (she looks a lot like her mommy) and Cinderella. So far, I seem to still be correct that Cinderella was a pullet. Tink definitely is. Thanks for your suggestions and love :jumpy Stay safe!
20200920_222658.jpg
20201119_181926.jpg
20201119_183841.jpg

Back
Top Bottom