Baby needs help

Madfurball

Hatching
Jun 29, 2022
I have a Polish baby that is 3 weeks old, and it has bowed legs. I have put a hobble on it, because it was displaying signs of splay leg. It has begun curling its toes inward, in order to help itself stand. We tried to put splints on its toes, but it was no longer able to stand. I'm not sure what to do with this one. I have given it every vitamin supplement available, and treated it for everything we thought that could be wrong with it. Can anyone help this baby? Does anyone take in little ones with these issues? I know what everyone is going to say, and I don't want to cull, if I can find someone that loves disabled birds. I have found homes for disables animals in the past, and I will always try this route, before I even think of that as a solution. Willing to travel and meet, if anyone wants to help this baby. I'm in Southern Ohio. 43155

Attachments

• 20220629_125829.jpg
    20220629_125829.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220629_125855.jpg
    20220629_125855.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your chick.

Looks like he's suffering from a leg bone deformity. Read up/Research Valgus Varus.
Hobbling may actually make the condition worse.
Some try splinting to help give some leg support, but sadly chicks often fail to thrive as they get older and their condition worsens. Their legs simply are not able to hold their weight, as you have seen. Sometimes developmental issues are unseen and internal as well.

Yes, in reality, culling is an option. I understand that it's not a thought any of us like to entertain, but the chick's overall quality of life needs to be considered as well.

It may be difficult to find someone willing to take him in, so you will need to be prepared to care for him yourself for whatever time he has to live. This could be a short period of time or years. If he's unable to stand now, then likely he never will. Making him a sling to stay upright can be helpful. If he's unable to eat/drink on his own, then you will need to get the supplies and tube feed him a few times a day. Wash his rear and keep him clean.
If these are things you are willing to do yourself, then let me know, I'll give you links on how to go about it.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your chick.

Looks like he's suffering from a leg bone deformity. Read up/Research Valgus Varus.
Hobbling may actually make the condition worse.
Some try splinting to help give some leg support, but sadly chicks often fail to thrive as they get older and their condition worsens. Their legs simply are not able to hold their weight, as you have seen. Sometimes developmental issues are unseen and internal as well.

Yes, in reality, culling is an option. I understand that it's not a thought any of us like to entertain, but the chick's overall quality of life needs to be considered as well.

It may be difficult to find someone willing to take him in, so you will need to be prepared to care for him yourself for whatever time he has to live. This could be a short period of time or years. If he's unable to stand now, then likely he never will. Making him a sling to stay upright can be helpful. If he's unable to eat/drink on his own, then you will need to get the supplies and tube feed him a few times a day. Wash his rear and keep him clean.
If these are things you are willing to do yourself, then let me know, I'll give you links on how to go about it.
The baby is active, eating, and drinking fine on its own. It just has trouble standing. This is breaking my heart, and I don't want to cull, but this is all new to me. I feel so bad for the little one.

Back
Top Bottom