Baby peacock Id Please.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by texascowboy1979, May 8, 2011.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pen 1 has a Pair of Pied. Pen 2 has a Charcoal Male split to BS, a female Black Shoulder Split to Charcoal, and a Green hen.

I found an egg in Pen 2, the baby hatched... but its white yellow. Could this be a black shoulder baby? What color are Charcoal Babies?

2. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    All black shoulder chicks are creamy yellow or white when hatched..in a short time the wings will start to be brown. I would guess these were out of your charcoal split male and the BS split charcoal hen. When it gets a little older you can tell what color it is. Some people like Brad Legg can tell right away but it will take a while for most. Any birds from the green hen will look like a spalding ( green and blue mix) and be split to charcoal but maybe not to BS pattern..???? connerhills

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes its a BS , check flight feathers they should be cream color, (not white) now that the pattern as far as the color blue or charcoal would need pics or some time to tell. If your green hen is split bs , she could be the mother, if not this chick will be blue split charcoal, blue bs split charcoal, or charcoal bs. one of the three.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  4. texascowboy1979

Lets see. These are my possiblities right...

BS Split to Charcoal
    Charcoal
    Charcoal BS
    IB Split to Charcoal.. right?

Or Spaulding Split to Charcoal.

5. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    No Deerman's possibilities are right

6. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes all his chicks will be split charcoal ,some of his chcks will be charcoal

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. texascowboy1979

Quote:I just checked my chick today, he has cream colored flight feathers... so he's a BS split to Charcoal... Which is good cause then the means that my Charcoal Male IS split to BS.

8. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:I just checked my chick today, he has cream colored flight feathers... so he's a BS split to Charcoal... Which is good cause then the means that my Charcoal Male IS split to BS.

He is BS , as he colors out may be a charcoal color.......

9. texascowboy1979

So... just a quick recap.. sorry for the re ask.

Pen:

Charcoal Male split to BS
    BS hen Split to Charcoal
    Green Spaulding hen, no split

Can any of the babies be Indian Blues? Of coarse if any of them are Indian Blue, they would be split to Charcoal.

I think I have 2 Indian Blue babies split to charcoal I just want to confirm that Indian Blues are a possiblity as I dont know what Charcoal Babies or Charcoal BS Babies look like.

Thanks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by