Baby quail

flyingmonkeypoop

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Deer Park Washington
I was driving home from school yesterday and I saw this heap of feathers in the road with something moving near it. I stopped, got out and the mystery 'thing' dissapeared under the blob of feathers. I kicked the thing over, it was a quail. I noticed that the mysteries were babies. I started grabbing them up as fast as I could and some dissapeared into the brush and I couldn't get to it. Now I have some baby quail and they are not eating. We have no chicks small enough to put in with them. What should I do?

Sounds like mom had met her demise--was she the heap of feathers? I feed my baby quail layer pellet mash---it was the only thing they did well on. And if I remember correctly, when you intorduce water, you should put marbles in it so they peck at them---essentially getting the water. But dont hold me to that---she what everyone else says....

We grind are crumble down for our bobwhite for the first week, most feeds available are to large for them to eat.

You can also set a few marbles in there feed to attrack them to it as with the water.

In this case they already imprinted on the mother and they will see you as a pred. We have this happen many times with our wild easter turkeys. It takes them months to become use to you when the hens raise them..

Hope they eat and drink for you. You could put a small stack of hay in the corner of the brooder so they can hide and they may come out to eat when it is peaceful..

Best of luck
cool.png

Charlie

Last edited:
Just wanted to add to use a game bird feed with higher protein for optimal growth and nutrition. Regular chick starter and layer feed is generally too low in protein for quail. If you can't get gamebird feed, try flockraiser crumble which is a little higher in protein than chick starter. Good luck with them.

Jody

For the first week I ground up meat bird feed from Nutrena. I just gave it a whirls in the magic bullet (any blender or coffee grinder will do) This food is what the feed store suggested. They are now almost three weeks old now and doing just fine. After the 1st week or so I didn't have to grind it up anymore.

Back
Top Bottom