Baby raccoon

This is creating a life of it's own but in response to OP, "where," did you find them? How far away from your coop? Do you have a trail cam on them? If there is really is no Mom, nature might fix this when they starve or get picked up by Coyote or Fox. If your coop is predator proof you don't have that much to worry about. I hate the little F er's but if I tried to kill every racoon in the Mt. Hood forest, that'd be ridiculous. So they're just out there. They don't screw with me because I have dogs and I lock my flock up tight at dusk.

Who on earth thinks animals don't have emotions? What do you call fear? Playfulness? Family bonds?

What each person decides to do is dependent on their own value system and circumstances. There's a right way and a wrong way to do either.
We were able to relocate a problem raccoon due to proximity to a large forest network with extensive water bodies. Making it hard for a raccoon to travel to human habitation. We chose the area very carefully because the last thing I'd want to do is make it someone else's problem.
If relocation is not legal or feasible, humanely culling them is kinder than letting them starve, but chances are the mother is still out there and OP simply intervened too quickly.

Racoons are native and serve a purpose in the environment. That they can get rabies makes them no worse than cats, dogs, and humans who can also get rabies.
There are plenty of zoological diseases to be careful of, so hand washing and taking advantage of available vaccines are both good ideas.

If the chickens are safely secured every night, there's a good chance the predator may move on. Keep feed areas clean, secure your feed storage and your garbage. That helps reduce their traffic on your property.

My uncle found a baby raccoon and ended up helping him survive (fed him, provided water and shelter outdoors) and it was a pet on the farm for years. Never came in the house but didn't bother the animals. Would come when called, run out of the woods for a can of tuna!

but in all seriousness - if your coop is secure and no food left out, they will move on (depending how old they are). If they are very young, I'd call a local wildlife rehab centre.

We were able to relocate a problem raccoon due to proximity to a large forest network with extensive water bodies. Making it hard for a raccoon to travel to human habitation.
Principal of Diffusion; if each raccoon now has to move 100 yards to allow space for another raccoon, a couple of raccoons have now been forced out of the woods and into more 'civilized' areas.
Not meant to be nit-picking, just sharing how things happen in nature.
I respect your decision to give that raccoon another chance to be further away.

Back
Top Bottom