1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Ramp Training? Suggestions for slow-learners?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by highcountrychickens, Apr 18, 2009.

1. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    I have 7 of 9+ week old Black Jersey Giant pullets who are making the move to the big-hen coop. The henhouse is set up a little bit like a brooder (lamp, a blower that brings warm air in from the adjacent studio, etc. I have a gentle one year old hen (same breed) in with them to show them the ropes, (only adult in with them). They have figured out the morning scenario, coming out through the pop door (stays open) and down the low angle ramp (SO sweet). Does anyone have a suggestion about how to help them sort out going back in at night? All of my other flocks have sorted this out, but these guys huddle in the corner until I put them in.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get out before dark each night and put them on the ramp... put treats on it? Hopefully it will get them in the habit of going to the ramp and then on to bed.

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I'd say give them treats inside the coop but only at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by