Coop Training

ive just always used food to get them to go where i want, but i have a reserved flock size, like 10, 12 ... i dont put unlimited food available to them .. screw a bowl down somewhere convenient in the coop, and thats where the food is, something sized so they wont stand in it and kick it all out, the bottom 1/3rd of a 2 liter bottle is about right for smaller birds .. theyll figure it out quick that the coop is the most happenin place to be lol .. i can get my birds all in a small cage pretty easy, just keep em hungry, not starving .. when they see you with the food cup though they should be at your feet and command lol .. simple ..

I'm having the same issue with the bantams I just moved out. I've always locked babies in for a few weeks then opened the door and done. These little messes will not go in on their own. I'm on my 3x locking them in after this I give up! We have been calling it bantam brain.

did you lock them in the coop for several days before giving them access to the run? that's what has always worked for me.
Our hens are more than ready to leave the brooder.
I understand the concept you've suggested & would follow it, but we're in the desert, and it's starting to warm into the mid-90s, with triple digits predicted in a week. Fear leaving them in the coop, even with the ventilation it has, they may get too hot. Suggestions??

Our hens are more than ready to leave the brooder.
I understand the concept you've suggested & would follow it, but we're in the desert, and it's starting to warm into the mid-90s, with triple digits predicted in a week. Fear leaving them in the coop, even with the ventilation it has, they may get too hot. Suggestions??
Do NOT lock them in with higher temperatures. You're going to need to manually put them in at night.

I'd see about putting a thermometer in there as well to see how hot it gets, if you don't already have one installed.

Do NOT lock them in with higher temperatures. You're going to need to manually put them in at night.

I'd see about putting a thermometer in there as well to see how hot it gets, if you don't already have one installed.
Theres so much sqwaking in the brooder I was wanting to at least get the birds in the run while we fuzz things up. Never dealt with transitioning our previous flocks. At a certain age brooder was emptied, everyone went in the coop no problem. But the timing is different in this case. I appreciate BYC's accumulated wisdom😉🙂
Coop preparations wont be complete until next week tho. It needs additional screened ventilation windows, pop out doors & an exhaust fan to push hot air out..... AND a thermometer . Good suggestion!! 👍
So, should I go ahead and put birds in the run while we fuzz up the coop? And then start placing them inside once coops ready? Or would too much time have passed to undo any patterns they may establish??

So, should I go ahead and put birds in the run while we fuzz up the coop? And then start placing them inside once coops ready? Or would too much time have passed to undo any patterns they may establish??
If the run is secure enough at this point yes, I'd move them to the run at least in the daytime. Make sure there's deep shade and maybe some extra water out in shallow pans to help them cool off.

Don't worry about patterns/habits. I brood in an outdoor brooder but when the time comes, simply closing it up and caging the chicks in the coop for a few days is enough to get them to see the coop as home instead.

If the run is secure enough at this point yes, I'd move them to the run at least in the daytime. Make sure there's deep shade and maybe some extra water out in shallow pans to help them cool off.

Don't worry about patterns/habits. I brood in an outdoor brooder but when the time comes, simply closing it up and caging the chicks in the coop for a few days is enough to get them to see the coop as home instead.
Appreciate your reply
The runs covered & gets shade, plus, theres watering cans & a playground. They may never want to be caught 😆
Tomorrow they're going on a field trip🤣 and I'm sure to get some exercise catching them

So, should I go ahead and put birds in the run while we fuzz up the coop?
If your run is secure enough there is no reason they need to immediately go in the coop to sleep. That has to be your call. I lock mine in the coop at night because I do not consider my run predator proof. The coop is to give them a place to go to get out of severe weather and to lay eggs but that is their choice. We tend to have the roosts in the coop but if they want to spend the night on the ground it won't hurt them. Broody hens often keep their chicks on the ground at night, at least until they roost. Chicks stay on the brooder floor without being harmed.

To me the decision is based on how safe from predators are they.

And then start placing them inside once coops ready? Or would too much time have passed to undo any patterns they may establish??
To train them to sleep in the coop I wait until it is dark when they are typically easy to catch and lock them in the coop for the night. Sometimes it only takes a time or two to retrain them. I've had a few take as long as three weeks before the last ones go in on their own. Some are naturally more aggravating than others but if you are consistent they can be trained. Each brood is different.

I'm sure to get some exercise catching them
If you wait until it is dark and they have settled in to sleep they can be a lot easier to catch unless your run is so light they don't get that dark.

If your run is secure enough there is no reason they need to immediately go in the coop to sleep. That has to be your call. I lock mine in the coop at night because I do not consider my run predator proof. The coop is to give them a place to go to get out of severe weather and to lay eggs but that is their choice. We tend to have the roosts in the coop but if they want to spend the night on the ground it won't hurt them. Broody hens often keep their chicks on the ground at night, at least until they roost. Chicks stay on the brooder floor without being harmed.

To me the decision is based on how safe from predators are they.

To train them to sleep in the coop I wait until it is dark when they are typically easy to catch and lock them in the coop for the night. Sometimes it only takes a time or two to retrain them. I've had a few take as long as three weeks before the last ones go in on their own. Some are naturally more aggravating than others but if you are consistent they can be trained. Each brood is different.

If you wait until it is dark and they have settled in to sleep they can be a lot easier to catch unless your run is so light they don't get that dark.
20230626_105244.jpg

Birds are chipping merrily while my husband's building a step & working on installing roost & nest boxes. Cutting more ventilation & pop outs too. A little landscape around outside edges and all should be good.
They're unphased by me going in & out of the run putting familiar items in there. Have gotten some really good responses to transition ME , and girls thank you 😊

Hey y'all! I'm currently having this problem. My girls and Cockerel won't go in the coop at night. I've spent the past week fetching them and putting them in. They want to sleep on top of the coop.
I put a light on a timer and it's been a week and they still choose to be on the roof. It's hot and with such little ventilation I dare not lock them in. The run is bullet proof except for the door. I had help with making the door and it's not what I expected. I am going to have to take it down and redo it myself. Can I let them just sleep on the roof once the door is fixed and it cools down?
Edited to add: the south facing front is open so there is better ventilation there. Could I put a fan in front of that and lock them in? I'm in Central Illinois with high humidity and heat storms lately too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom