Baby Runner Duck Not Walking

Garden Bird

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2015
Hi! I am a first time duck owner. We have one week old runner ducks. One of the four is still the same size it was a week ago. Three days ago, it appeared to have a hurt foot and was hopping around on one leg. Now it is wobbling around on its belly unable to walk at all. We are making sure that it gets food and water but it has us worried. What could be the problem and is there anything we can do to help it. We have named this little girl Cocoa and she is our favorite of the four. We don't want to lose her.
20170615_100152.jpg 20170615_100434.jpg

I had a duckling that after hatching could not walk, what we did was some duck physical therapy. Help it walk around by giving it support underneath it. Also putting it in a tub of water can help too with getting its legs moving and allowing some of the weight be taken off its legs. It helps with our duck and got it to walk perfectly normal, I hope you have the same luck!!!

Hi! I am a first time duck owner. We have one week old runner ducks. One of the four is still the same size it was a week ago. Three days ago, it appeared to have a hurt foot and was hopping around on one leg. Now it is wobbling around on its belly unable to walk at all. We are making sure that it gets food and water but it has us worried. What could be the problem and is there anything we can do to help it. We have named this little girl Cocoa and she is our favorite of the four. We don't want to lose her.
View attachment 1043689 View attachment 1043690

How is she doing?

What are you feeding? Some feeds don't contain enough Niacin even though they may say they are for chicks and/or ducklings... supplemental Niacin in their water or brewers yeast might be needed...

@Garden Bird

I would give 150 mg plain niacin per gallon of drinking water to them. You could also use B complex, afain using niacin levels for dosage.

Sometimes there are infections or congenital problems, but very often it is related to a need for more niacin.

@Garden Bird update how the little one is doing.
I'm so sorry I didn't reply. Sadly our duckling died an hour or two after I posted. I have been busy consoling children and arranging for a couple more ducks to be added to our home. The place we bought them from was very kind to us and offered to send us a replacement duck for free as well as a Blue Runner since we ordered one of those and accidentally got two black ones. So the kids are pleased but they do miss their little Cocoa the duck.

Back
Top Bottom