baby sparrow.....died again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Woytgirl, May 22, 2019.

1. Woytgirl

Woytgirl Songster

Apr 24, 2017
    Hi everyone!
    I recently rescued a baby sparrow. I've been feeding it hard boiled eggs and mealworms, after researching on a website that was written by a vet.
    It got pasty butt today. I cleaned its butt off 2 times, but it stopped actively walking around and was still constipated. Can someone tell me why it died? I don't understand what happened.

2. Woytgirl

Woytgirl Songster

Apr 24, 2017
    I guess I'm just really disappointed. I rescued it on Monday, and it seemed to be really improving and getting healthy.

3. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    How often did you feed it?

Songbirds are ridiculously hard to upkeep in wildlife rehab, they have to be fed at least once an hour from sunrise to sunset, and even then I think the recovery statistic for them is something like a 90% failure rate. I raised ten barn swallows last summer and still ended up losing the two youngest ones despite my best efforts.

Also, how old was it and were you adding water to its food at all?

I've never head of using egg yolks, I've only fed insectivorous baby birds with mashed dry kitten food (moistened with water) and smashed live mealworms that I killed. Once they got older I started smashing the mealworms only to the point that they were dying and let the chicks eat the half-alive mealworms to transition them into taking live food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: