Baby was overdue and has terrible WRY NECK! Please help! šŸ’”

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
My duckling that was overdue hatched under mom with awful wry neck! Iā€™m giving him electrolytes and Nutra Drench. I tried to make a brace out of a sponge but it didnā€™t work. Heā€™s so full of life and does his best to keep up with his 2 siblings. Mom doesnā€™t want to take care of them after 3 hours of them hatching so I have them inside in a brooder. Watching this precious baby is breaking my heart! I canā€™t find a vet that will see any fowl right now and Iā€™m at a loss!
Please help!! He looks in his mirror upside down and canā€™t straighten his neck at all. I canā€™t cull him! Does anyone have any ideas? Heā€™s so healthy otherwise but I know heā€™ll have an awful life! He was born yesterday morning..
Sorry about the bad photo.

Kindly,
Amy

Attachments

• IMG_3954.jpeg
    IMG_3954.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 46
My duckling that was overdue hatched under mom with awful wry neck! Iā€™m giving him electrolytes and Nutra Drench. I tried to make a brace out of a sponge but it didnā€™t work. Heā€™s so full of life and does his best to keep up with his 2 siblings. Mom doesnā€™t want to take care of them after 3 hours of them hatching so I have them inside in a brooder. Watching this precious baby is breaking my heart! I canā€™t find a vet that will see any fowl right now and Iā€™m at a loss!
Please help!! He looks in his mirror upside down and canā€™t straighten his neck at all. I canā€™t cull him! Does anyone have any ideas? Heā€™s so healthy otherwise but I know heā€™ll have an awful life! He was born yesterday morning..

Kindly,
Amy
How long ago did it hatch ?
One thing I donā€™t do is force braces of any kind neck, feet , legs ect
Many little ones need 24 hours after hatching and this can cause more harm then good forcing it to soon

Kindly,
Amy
Do you mean the one closer to the mirror?
Can you get more photos?

How long ago did it hatch ?
One thing I donā€™t do is force braces of any kind neck, feet , legs ect
Many little ones need 24 hours after hatching and this can cause more harm then good forcing it to soon
Hi!

Thank you for your reply.
She hatched Thursday morning on her own under mom.
I, of course took her out to make sure she was ok and noticed she has Wry Neck. Iā€™m giving her electrolytes, Nutra Drench, and scrambled eggs along with her food. I have to hand feed her because she has to lay down to be able to eat. Iā€™m so worried because I heard that you have to immediately put a brace on her neck. Otherwise she is full of life and get around well. She puts her head on her siblings and they seem to know that she needs help.
I made a very comfortable brooder box with plenty of things to keep her neck on which sleeping.
My heart is just breaking for her because I read that it canā€™t correct itself, although sheā€™s not flipping over on her back anymore. But I donā€™t know what to do to help her.
Included is a better picture.

Kindly,
Amy

Kindly,
Amy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 16
Hi!

I, of course took her out to make sure she was ok and noticed she has Wry Neck. Iā€™m giving her electrolytes, Nutra Drench, and scrambled eggs along with her food. I have to hand feed her because she has to lay down to be able to eat. Iā€™m so worried because I heard that you have to immediately put a brace on her neck. Otherwise she is full of life and get around well. She puts her head on her siblings and they seem to know that she needs help.
I made a very comfortable brooder box with plenty of things to keep her neck on which sleeping.
My heart is just breaking for her because I read that it canā€™t correct itself, although sheā€™s not flipping over on her back anymore. But I donā€™t know what to do to help her.

Kindly,
Amy
What exactly are you feeding your adult ducks?
What you feed them affects the eggs/newly hatched ducklings and can cause exactly this.

Hi!

Kindly,
Amy
@Miss Lydia gave good info on the vitamin E along with egg yolks
The combo is what helps wry neck
Sometimes it can be corrected and others it canā€™t
Time and treatments will determine the outcome
Hopefully she can recover

@Miss Lydia gave good info on the vitamin E along with egg yolks
The combo is what helps wry neck
Sometimes it can be corrected and others it canā€™t
Time and treatments will determine the outcome
Hopefully she can recover
Iā€™m doing EVERYTHING I possibly can. I took off the brace and sheā€™s happier now. We feed them Purina Duck from Truck and Tractor Supply. And oyster shell calcium for egg quality.
Should I switch their food?
Iā€™ve had many ducklings and sheā€™s the first with wry neck. She was overdue and very large.
Unfortunately mom abandoned them after they dried under her wings. So again, Iā€™m caring for the new babies.
Out of 11 eggs only 4 hatched. Very sad. Mom sat for 38 days perfectly and I donā€™t know why she abandoned them..
Iā€™m working so hard with this baby and doing everything I was told, Iā€™m just praying it will get better. ā¤ļøā€šŸ©¹ Iā€™m going to get selenium and niacin today to go along with everything else Iā€™m doing for her.
She seems to be doing a bit better this morning, sheā€™s running around instead of laying in the corner and eating herself!
Kindly,
Amy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 12
What exactly are you feeding your adult ducks?
What you feed them affects the eggs/newly hatched ducklings and can cause exactly this.
Hi!
We feed them Purina Duck from Truck and Tractor Supply along with oyster shell calcium for egg quality.
Is there a better food I should be using?

Kindly,
Amy

Back
Top Bottom