Baby wont sleep, not ing

Aug 31, 2019
Hughes Wildlife Farm, MA
1wk old chick... Already lost her 5 siblings (of various breeds we got at tbe chick supply store)( slight red found. But vents looked great)
She tries to poop, screams, than nothing.. Just standing there in the dark, chirping none stop.
I soaked and did a mineral oil mini enema. Only a little squirt of yellow came out.
She still is flexing her vent, but nothing comes out.
She won't go to sleep..
I dont wamt to hurt her baby vent. But she is very bothered and tired I'm sure. Should I keep trying oil on vent?

No more til I know what went wrong with this batch.. Dont want to mix ill with new. She is inside. Room temp. She isnt eatting. Just standing and chirping. I just moistened some medicated crumble with probiotics water.. Going to try to feed her now. She did scream and squirted a little poop again.

When trying to unstop a stopped up baby chick, the oil must go in the top end to be effective on the blockage. I use chilled coconut oil as it's easy to slip a tiny marble size chunk into the beak.

Careful messing with the vent on a baby chick. It's ultra fragile and will swell if irritated and it only complicates things.

20190906_222110.jpg

When trying to unstop a stopped up baby chick, the oil must go in the top end to be effective on the blockage. I use chilled coconut oil as it's easy to slip a tiny marble size chunk into the beak.

Careful messing with the vent on a baby chick. It's ultra fragile and will swell if irritated and it only complicates things.
I have coconut oil, I will put in top end lol. She did take a good amount of soggy crumble.. She even tried the slop on her own. Maybe warm food/water was a good idea.
Thank you for the oil tip.. I read to use oil on vent of new chicks to prevent pasty butt. And because she keeps baring down and screaming just to result in a tiny white dot of poop, lead me to think she is blocked up down there

Whatvtemp is room temp? My house is 73F. That would be cold for chicks without some heat source. If she’s cold she most likely will cheep a lot and not eat.

I’m thinking a lot of the chirping is because it’s by itself in the dark. Also, new chicks should have some form of heat, they should be able to utilize a heat source that’s warmer that just room temp. If it’s not eating it wouldn’t be pooping. I’m not sure that constipation is the problem.
I thought the same about the alone and chirping part.
She did have a heat lamp, but was staying out of the source, so I figured she was getting too hot ainve the hoise is at about 80degrees. I will turn lamp back on.
I did give her a tablespoon of moisten medicated probiotc crumble.
I'm done messing with her bottom, going to treat thru water n food.
She does scream when she poops, and only a tiny dot of white poop comes out. That lead me to think constipation.
But not eatting, makes sense to no poop. Thank u

Whatvtemp is room temp? My house is 73F. That would be cold for chicks without some heat source. If she’s cold she most likely will cheep a lot and not eat.
House at 80.. And she was staying away from ber heat lamp.. So i turned it off, but I have it back on. I'm not going to risk loosing her because of my stupidity.. This is a hard lesson to learn.. 5 flocks and I go and screw this one up. Ugh

Back
Top Bottom