Baby's allergy tests are back....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by TriciaHowe, May 14, 2009.

1. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Dr. called me this morning to let me know what the results were of my 9 mth olds allergy RAST test. Apparently he is allergic to cats, dogs, eggs and peanuts. Great.....
    We are being refered to an allergist for follow up. Thankfully his biggest issue was eczema that wouldn't clear up. Our inside dog passed away a couple of weeks ago and the cats rarely come inside (because they don't want to, not because we purposely keep them out). We have to get the carpets shampood to get any of the dander out that may still be lurking and wipe down all the furniture.
    I was wondering if Zyrtec would help too? My dd was on it when she was about 2 for seasonal allergies. I forgot to ask when I was on the phone with the ped.

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Aw thats too bad, poor lil fella. I know how he feels. My allergies didnt develop till I was 5, but DS #2 has allergies and was born with Nomular Eczema (this weird specific type that doesnt occur in normal eczema places). I would not put a 9 mo old on Zyrtec, but my nurse friend uses it for her 5 yr old DD who also has eczema and it really helps. I feel your pain, good luck!

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

No fun! When my son was a baby, his little face was constantly broken out in a rash! It was awful. FINALLY, when he was about 2, we did that test. Came back that he was really allergic to pork, egg whites and beef. Who woulda thunk it? [​IMG] He also had a dairy allergy which we had already figured out.

My point is, once those things were eliminated from his diet, he improved tons... I have to tell you that eggs will be a tough one. [​IMG]

4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Yes eggs are tough. We dont have any egg allergies in our family but I grew up with a kid that was allergic to wheat and eggs and MAN was his life not fun! No cake at friend's b-day parties, no pizza...pretty much not anything good!

Once you get used to the changes tho it does get easier. I am allergic to a few foods and DS is allergic to a few and after I got used to just no eating them or cooking with them I dont even think about them at the store anymore.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    A good zinc based product, like diaper rash ointment should clear up skin easily, just keep reapplying.

My daughter with Down Syndrome has very sensative skin, the Dr. ended up giving us some elidel.

Some people with egg allergies can eat duck eggs. I don't know if there is a different test you can do to see if your child may be able to have them instead of chicken eggs.

6. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    My son also has eczema. Did your baby have reactions at all outside of testing. Some children with eczema will test fase positive with allergy testing. This was the case with my son when he was 2. the only things he is truly allergic to is egggs in their raw state, and that we definately know because he helped me mix meatballs. He tested positive for peanuts, almonds,, oranges, pork, strawberries,eggs ( which turned out true, however he can eat them cooked) and he eats all of these things and has never had a reaction. he is now 6 I do not predict a reaction at this point but I have an epi pen in case. ErinM

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Aww Im sorry , I am glad you found out this early though thats a good thing. My son's Dr told me for the first 18 months of his life that babies done have allergies [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Then for the last 2 years its ok he has allergies but his inshurance wont cover for him to be tested or treated unless he has some life threating reaction to something. The eczema dosnt count as its not life threating [​IMG]
    So Im glad they got on it so quickly for you that will be such a blessing to youre son .
    Good luck

8. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Both my girls inherited allergies from me, poor kids. My ten year old showed her first allergies within her first week of life. She was allergic to every brand of diapers on the market except Pampers, and while I did breastfeed, I didn't produce enough milk so when we introduced formula she had adverse reactions to all of the ones we initially introduced. We ended up being able to give her Carnation, which I think is now owned by Nestle. She has had food allergies, skin allergies, sinus allergies, and when she attended public school I had to really inform everyone that had anything to do with her because she has these weird allergies where she can eat something today, break out in painful hives, wait a week without eating it again, and then eat it and be fine. The doctors are still mystified over that one. She has had allergies over the years to eggplant, blueberries, strawberries, milk, and a whole host of other foods. I cautiously introduce new foods and there is ALWAYS Benadryl in my cabinets as well as Aveeno oatmeal baths. She takes Claritin for her sinus allergies, and I am happy to say that the older she gets, the less severe they seem to be. Except her skin allergies. She's also allergic to nearly every brand of laundry detergent on the market. Right now we are using Gain, and she seems to be ok. With my younger daughter she doesn't have any food allergies, but she has sinus allergies and she is allergic to most shampoos like I am. If she uses a shampoo for too long she gets itchy and then gets huge gaping sores on her scalp. We've been through hair loss, itchiness, infections, you name it, all from shampoos! We stick now with generic Head & Shoulders cause she seems ok with it. We also have to be careful with deodorants, perfumes, etc. I've lived with my entire life with allergies, my mother even has a few allergies, and now my kids. Plus I keep an epi pen cause I'm allergic to bees, hornets & wasps. Found out my younger daughter isn't allergic cause she was stung at church last week. However, I worry still about my older daughter as she is allergic to mosquitoes and might very well have my bee allergy. Life with allergies is hard, I admit, but we manage. Oh, and both my girls have mild eczema too. So I sympathize with everyone here with kids with allergies. All I can do is hope they outgrow them!

9. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Food allergies are strange. I have allergic reactions to a lot of things, but not all the time, either. I think that it is because certain *combinations* of foods in the course of a day causes the reaction. I figured this out from something my mother in law told me about her youngest son.

My brother in law can eat cheese. He can eat oranges. He cannot eat one within 24 hours of the other, or he gets blinding migraines. It took keeping a food diary to figure it out.

If I weren't so incredibly busy and somewhat lazy where my own self is concerned, I'd keep a food diary so maybe I could pinpoint the combinations. But who has time for that when I could be chatting on BYC? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by