Babysitting

Auntiejessi3

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Oct 20, 2020
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
So my boss called me last night and asked if I would babysit his chicks until Sunday, I said sure, then asked if he had everything they needed, he said ya I'll bring them to you at the office in the morning. Well, this morning he shows up with his wife and they set down a plastic laundry basket with 3 chicks in it and a Tupperware container with food and water (no heat of any kind) and what looks to be a shelf out of a refrigerator with an egg in it and said this one might hatch...wtf! Apparently, they had a broody who quit sitting and the eggs were hatching. I've got a heating pad in there till I can get home and rig it into a MHP and this egg is pipping, it's gonna be a long 5 days

Totally forgot to add that there was a wet chick in the fridge shelf that hatched last night that they said I couldn't put with the others because they'd kill it :idunno Needless to say it is passed out with the other 3 just fine, smh

Attachments

• 20220817_141748.jpg
    20220817_141748.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220817_141808.jpg
    20220817_141808.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220817_142122.jpg
    20220817_142122.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I got them home and all situated, and cleaned a severe case of pasty butt. They just really had no clue what they were doing, hopefully they learn from their mistakes and follow the advice I give them. The egg that is pipping and chirping I put in a plastic container with a rolled up wet wash cloth on the other side and a heating pad on top🤞

Attachments

• 20220817_163652.jpg
    20220817_163652.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220817_163748.jpg
    20220817_163748.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 1
Update: I checked on the egg this morning and it made a little more progress overnight, the hole is larger and it was sticking its beak out, I re-wetted the washcloth and covered it back up with the heating pad. It's been a little over 18hrs since it pipped.

I hope you made video shorts of how to care for new and hatching chicks for your boss; nothing substitutes for lived experience IMHO. And hope they realize the amount of work they left you and the ICU care you are giving these chicks.
Oh… You deserve a raise (and angel wings)

I hope you made video shorts of how to care for new and hatching chicks for your boss; nothing substitutes for lived experience IMHO. And hope they realize the amount of work they left you and the ICU care you are giving these chicks.
Oh… You deserve a raise (and angel wings)
I am going to give them the whole setup that I put together for the littles, along with notes. They had been feeding them tomatoes and veggie scraps with no supplemental heat so in return I am dealing with some serious pasty butt, which I think I have got it under control. I have never raised chicks, I've had a broody raise chicks but I've never actually done it. I have to give a big thanks to BYC and all the folks on here because I've learned a lot and in return it's helping me nurture these babes back to a healthy position ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom