Bachelor Pad Gone wrong

Juther

Songster
Feb 27, 2018
Y’all. Something terrible happened today. So terrible I need to speak about it. And understand why. I’ve had a bachelor pad for a year without problems today I witnessed a rape of the gang type. 5 cockerel s all raised together. 3 of them turned on my big beautiful Good Shepherd Barred Rock. It was horrific and I couldn’t stop it. I tried. I don’t think he will make it. He has no external injuries so I’m assuming they are internal.

He might just be in shock from the attack. The only things that would hurt him are the claws and beaks. Just keep him in a dark room with fresh water and feed for the night. Then access in the morning.

He might just be in shock from the attack. The only things that would hurt him are the claws and beaks. Just keep him in a dark room with fresh water and feed for the night. Then access in the morning.
Done. I hope it’s just shock. He feels a bit thin. So they may have been picking on him already. He’s a big goofy sweetie.

With Chickens, I really don't think being raised together has any advantage over not being raised together.

If he lives, I would not attempt to put him back in there. I would reassess how many birds can fit in there... and don't be terribly surprised if there is a new victim. Sometimes, when they get mean, they stay mean.

Mrs k

Y’all. Something terrible happened today. So terrible I need to speak about it. And understand why. I’ve had a bachelor pad for a year without problems today I witnessed a rape of the gang type. 5 cockerel s all raised together. 3 of them turned on my big beautiful Good Shepherd Barred Rock. It was horrific and I couldn’t stop it. I tried. I don’t think he will make it. He has no external injuries so I’m assuming they are internal.
Done. I hope it’s just shock. He feels a bit thin. So they may have been picking on him already. He’s a big goofy sweetie.
He has no external injuries at all? No bloody comb, bruising, etc.?

Can you post some photos of what he looks like right now? His demeanor?

Since he's thin, then you are right, he may have be being kept from food.
I would keep him warm. Offer electrolytes or poultry vitamins - he needs hydration first.
Once he's drinking on his own, then offer some wet feed.

I’ve had a bachelor pad for a year without problems today I witnessed a rape of the gang type. 5 cockerel s all raised together. 3 of them turned on my big beautiful Good Shepherd Barred Rock. It was horrific and I couldn’t stop it. I tried.
Very sorry for your experience... and his. :(

Please note that what you witnessed was the take down and over throw of the head cock most likely... an assault at best. Rape is NOT a thing in the animal world and nor do they see it that way. It's never pretty. The beaten rooster will usually hang to the back and stay out of sight for a bit... slowly returning and working his way back into the pecking order... as those cockerels will NOT be a united front for long and he should face them individually instead of as a mob... but yes... just like a dog fight... sometimes when they see one down they all jump in to elevate THEIR standing in the pecking order. Also, every time I remove a boy from the pecking order all holy heck breaks loose among those left behind... it ALWAYS rolls down hill.

What do you mean he has NO external injuries???? If his issue is from the confrontation... he should be sporting plenty of scratches and bruises or even swollen eyes... You said you couldn't stop it... was it just mounting him or did they attack him?! If all they were doing is mounting... maybe he had another issue going on and they are just taking advantage of his weakness either to dethrone or eliminate... survival of the fittest... really. Anyone who's never seen mating take place in their "bachelor" pad... probably ain't looking. It's one of the things I dislike the most! :barnie

To be honest... my poor eldest rooster is facing his own challenge of the same sort... all others being just coming up on a year... hormones raging and something to prove like so many other young adults still finding their way...

He is very likely a bit traumatized. If he is to return to your stag pen at all, you must keep him in sight. In a look but don't touch is suggested.

Fresh food and water offered should be good enough... make sure he is drinking as that is key to survival. Offer a little scrambled egg in the morning for a nice boost that's easy to digest and usually very palatable.

Also, consider adding more feeding stations and visual barriers... these help some but of course not during an ongoing battle.

ETA: If he wasn't the head cockerel, he may have been the bottom and they may have been mating him for some time already... missing some details, sorry.

:fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom