Back from Birthday Rollerskating party...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Spookwriter, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Seems like a whole lot of sad news here lately, so I thought I would
    post a happier thread.

One of my daughters friends had a birthday party today at the Roller Rink.
    Everyone had a good time. Wife and I had kids all day long, we got to be
    the driver. Got to drive them to McDonalds, got to drive them to play practice
    and got to drive them to the party. Our daughter plus five other children.

About 30 children showed up. Very few knew how to skate. No one in our group
    knew how. They fell everywhere. Put skates on, stand up, fall down. That part
    was funny.

My wife and I...we're old. I barely move, let alone skate. I havn't been on skates in
    forever. My wife tried tonight. Once. Put skates on, stand up, fall down. Take skates
    off. Rub butt. I tried to tell her...we're old people. We don't do that.

But it was fun for everyone there.

And my daughter learned not to fall down so much.

One of the children we were watching was a young boy. I'm not supposed to know
    he's my daughters boyfriend. It's a secret she's keeping from me. But I know...she just
    doesn't know I know. Her first official boyfriend.

Next weekend, RCW Wresting is in town. I'm really thinking about taking this new boy-friend
    feller with us. Because boyfriend likes wrestling on tv, my daughter watches it now.

So far, a productive weekend. Ordered five new Halloween masks, they came in the mail
    this morning. Working on two lifesize prop people. Their styrofoam heads came yesterday.
    Ordered new headstones for the maze. Halloween is a year long event, don't you know.

Anyone else having a good weekend and want to share it with us?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Sounds like you had a great day. [​IMG]

DH had to work, I cleaned the coop and we got to see our oldest son today [​IMG]

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I spent the day at an auction and then a small animal sale. I got what looks like a marans pullet. [​IMG] Two silver laced wyandotte hens and 15 barred rock 4 day old chicks. My DD and family gave me a huge red tom turkey for my birthday. Had to push him in the wheel barrow to the pen. [​IMG] I am looking forward to learning about his breed. He is beautiful.

Not much money spent, but I had a million dollars worth of fun!

We also halloween all year long. Glad you had fun with your family.

[​IMG]

4. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I remember when the skating rink was the place to be, on Friday and Sat. evening, for the teenagers, young adults, and the creepy older men, who just loved to impress the young girls, with their madskilz.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    As a young gal I loved roller skating! Every three months or so our catholic school sponsored a roller skating event. Oh my! The memories! I still have vivid images of Sister Rita skating like an angel in her nun gear. She was a tiny wisp of a woman whose Italian heritage gave her flashing black eyes and a temper to match. She could quickly turn into the Roller Derby Queen when the boys decided to try their own version of Roller Derby. She'd whip that long black dress to the side and streak across the floor like a Raven on steroids. Occasionally she'd revert to her native language and give them boys a tongue lashing like there was no tomorrow.

On the other hand, Sister Mary with her rather stout figure would glide across the floor, hands folded neatly behind her. For some reason her dress was white, and she presented the image of serenity while floating among us randy teenagers. She had her moments though, and could strike without warning. Like a pit viper, her right hand would lash out with incredible accuracy. Her silver ruler would slice the air and and the guilty party would yelp in surprise.

Then there was Sister Rosalinda whose white head and black dress reminded me of the stately Bald Eagle. Over 6 feet tall, this woman's mere presence was commanding to say the least. Her lively green eyes was a clue to her mischievous nature. She was the one who initiated the skating parties and I think her goal was to wear us out. She always encouraged us after a fall, and turned some of the timid skaters into Derby Masters. She rated our falls, and claimed I had Olympic potential in the most energetic category because I couldn't just fall down. No, I had to do several impressive back flips, some purty darn good side kicks, and usually finished with a cartwheel or two as a bonus for all those watching. That nun made falling fun. Instead of crying after a fall, we'd wait for her to rate our fall then go brag about our score.

Yep, I had some good times going in a circle on eight tiny wheels, and I can appreciate the lesson those nuns taught me. If you fall down, get back up, and keep going.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My kids are doing skating right now as part of their gym class,and they are loving it. We just stayed home this weekend and my mom visited.We were able to see all our relatives in Turkey via the computer.Love technology that has taken us from letters to video phones!
    Ofcourse I had to show off some of my eggs and a chicken I currently have in indoor rehab.

7. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    my 13 year old boy is an amazing ice scator [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by