Back patches from mating

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moodusnewchick, Apr 17, 2009.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    How far do you let bare patches from mating go before becoming worried? thanks.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I start worrying when they first show up, you might want to invest in a chicken saddle(s) to stop the roo from tearing off more feathers or damaging her back.

3. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    you might want to invest in a chicken saddle(s) to stop the roo from tearing off more feathers or damaging her back.

Cats is right! We had an emergency and just used a baby bib from the dollar store. She wore it like a chicken saddle, (just like a baby, only backwards under her wings.) It really is pretty great protection - although, it may take a while to get used to.​

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Thank you for posting this. I have one rooster and one balding hen.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    And its hard to look at them without laughing!

6. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    what happens in the wild? if we don't intefer with nature, will the roos end up killing hens b/c the skin will tear and disease could happen? does this rough behavior only happen in captivity?

7. use a soft piece of material for the bare back and duct tape it down, the tape will wear off and the feathers will grow back just looks strange for a duck taped chicken. marrie

8. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    what happens in the wild? if we don't intefer with nature, will the roos end up killing hens b/c the skin will tear and disease could happen? does this rough behavior only happen in captivity?

huh...never saw a wild chicken...never heard of one either...guess there must be some, somewhere, huh?​

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I think you may have answered your own question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by