back to the drawing board

Quote:
I was going to post that link too. That is what I read to get started. Just follow directions and it will be easy. Just make note that when they say chickens make a lot of dust they mean it. I had them in a spare bedroom for about 4 weeks and everything was covered in a thick layer of dust.

Thanks, everyone! OK, I'm going to do it! I CAN DO IT, lol! My son has an extra aquarium he's not using and it's pretty big, 20 gal. I think that's a good size to start out and it will be easy to attach a light to it.

Now, where is the best place to get 5 chicks? McM has a minimum of 25, Meyer has a $20 min. Is there anywhere else, or do I need to bite the bullet and just order $20 worth of stuff from Meyer? They are close to me, in OH (I'm near Niagara Falls NY), so shipping should be quick.

Thank you SO much, everybody! I went to sleep with doubts but woke today knowing everything will be fine.
smile.png

Oh, I was worried to, but the very first time I brooded chicks, I did 50 at once. I was lots of fun, and they are just so dang cute. i have 50 more on order right now.

I may not be much help, since I haven't even ordered my chicks yet. You can order from MyPetChicken.com (as few as 3), and you might call Meyer and see what might be possible in terms of ordering just 5. I was planning to order 6 from them, which won't get me up to the $20 minimum either. I am going to call them and see what they say; otherwise I'll order from MyPetChicken.

I have done more forum searches on this website than I care to admit. And I have asked questions ad nauseum. It seems daunting at first, but what helped me was to get a "chicken notebook" which I use to take notes, make coop plans and drawings, and just get everything down on paper so there's not so much swirling going on in my brain.
tongue.png

Ok, I just looked over the Meyer website - have you seen their "Small Order Program" page? It appears to me that you CAN order less than the $20 minimum (of day-old chicks), although there will be a $20 upcharge for special packaging and express delivery. At least that's how I read it.

Last edited:
Ok, You'll be fine. First, you are up here in NY so I would recommend that you get the brooder prepared and ready with heat lamp and all regulating temps. before they arrive, and since you work ful time. That shouldn't take but a day or two. You'll want to use papertowels or pine shavings for the litter. Keep them away from a drafty area and make sure they are eating good food and water. I ordered mine from Meyer. I did it because it was close and I got to order a small amount, of course I had to pay for it. They threw in an extra and they all were very healthy. If I were you, try finding a large dog cage like the ones they use for air travel or rubbermaid bin to keep them in. ( You will get ideas on this site for what folks used at a brooder ) That should be fine, but think about a wire lid of some kind, they grow fast! Have a thermometer, heat lamp and knowledge. You learn fast here and eveyone is great to help. Know some common problems in new chicks so you are prepared in case....
I know it sounds like a lot, but really, this place has so much info. Mypetchicken.com does too. So just read.
Do you know what breeds you want ( I live near Rochester so got cold hardy breeds ).
Good luck
Stephanie

I just saw the Meyer small order thing, too! I wonder if they added that to compete better with MPC. Whatever the reason, I'm glad they did it, because I'm definitely going to order from them now.
smile.png

S6bee, I'm getting RIRs so they should do pretty well here. I did see quite a few setups with rubbermade bins. Very cool, I'll do that. I wonder how well Meyer sexes?

LOL we ordered 15 chicks from Ideal. When they got here I thought "they are so small I'll put them in a kiddy pool that will work" LOL in a week they were all over the living room. I ended up using my DD old play pen. Worked great. If they could survive and thrive at my house they can survive at your house.
They spent there first weeks of life in my Kitchen (my house is small) it was fun they make cute noises. I have lots of kids in and out of my house all day everyday(14 on most days) and they played with the chicks all the time. Like I said if they can survive here you will do just fine.
Give them food, water, heat lamp, and bedding material they should do great.

Re: MPC: Honestly, it almost sounds to me like MPC actually may get their chickens from Meyer. I don't think MPC is a hatchery and their shipping/ordering process sounds pretty similar to Meyer. Hmmmmm. It's possible.

Back
Top Bottom