Backyard Brahmas!!

Do all brahma chick's have feathers on their feet and legs when hatched? I ordered dark, light and buff brahmas and only 1 has feathers on her legs. I also ordered a light brahma roo and he looks like a lighter chipmunk color and no feathers. I'm convinced I did not get the correct chicks. I ordered from my feed store who orders from Mt healthy hatchery. I don't want me stressed over this or my babies. Aby suggestions? Help! Advice?
I believe that all brahmas are feather footed. I don't have any advice though.......I guess call the feed store and find out what is up. One thing to note, sometimes my brahmas don't have full feathers on their legs/feet, but they almost always have some evidence that feathers are going to grow there such as feather stubs. Look closely and make sure that they don't have any evidence of feathering coming out on their legs/feet. I think for the standard they are supposed to have feathers halfway on the middle toe. Hope this helps some......

Do all brahma chick's have feathers on their feet and legs when hatched? I ordered dark, light and buff brahmas and only 1 has feathers on her legs. I also ordered a light brahma roo and he looks like a lighter chipmunk color and no feathers. I'm convinced I did not get the correct chicks. I ordered from my feed store who orders from Mt healthy hatchery. I don't want me stressed over this or my babies. Aby suggestions? Help! Advice?

If they are Brahma's they will have feathers on their legs. I have mixed Brahma's with clean legs and still got feathers on their legs. so it is a dominate trait thrown by the Brahma Breed
hope this helps

I agree, first chick is Brahma and the rest are EE. Get ahold of your feed store and try to resolve if possible. Good luck! EE's are good birds also.

I have just bought a brahma at a sale and it is quite skinny it is 6 months old and I wondered if she is meant to be skinning while she grows

The feed store did give me 2 EEs and they had my Brahmas. Made the switch and very happy. Still curious about my roo. I do not think he is a Brahma we shall see what he is in several months I guess! Lol I'm calling him Dexter

I have just bought a brahma at a sale and it is quite skinny it is 6 months old and I wondered if she is meant to be skinning while she grows
It's hard to say...She could just be a small bird or she could have worms or parasites. If she otherwise looks healthy (good color, alert), I wouldn't worry too much. Give her good high quality food for a couple weeks and see how she does.

The feed store did give me 2 EEs and they had my Brahmas. Made the switch and very happy. Still curious about my roo. I do not think he is a Brahma we shall see what he is in several months I guess! Lol I'm calling him Dexter
Glad they switched them for you! Keep us posted on how they're doing....

Back
Top Bottom