Backyard Brahmas!!

I moved my 6 week old Brahma chicks out into a miniature coop yesterday. They are all feathered out except for their heads. Temperatures are going to be nice for the next 5 days, however I am noticing that after that, although day temperatures are in the 60s, night temperatures will fall to 45-47 degrees. Do you think they will be able to withstand? I have no way of getting any heat lamps out into their coop and dear wife doesn't want to hear anything about bringing them back in.

They'll be fine - mine went out at 5 weeks and were in temps below freezing about a week later when we got a sudden cold snap and snow storm.

mine have been outside for two weeks already. They're now about 6 weeks. Still weren't fully feathered out when I put them outside with the bantam chicks two weeks ago. They're fine. And we did have a few night down in the upper twenties. Days ranging from fifties to sixties. With two glorious days in the upper seventies. I'd think they should be fine. I'm not a fan of heat lamps after the birds have their wing and chest feathers.
Thats reassuring! I think I should send my 3.5 weeks Legbars out as well as soon as they turn 5 weeks old. By that time temps will be nicer as well.

I moved my 6 week old Brahma chicks out into a miniature coop yesterday. They are all feathered out except for their heads. Temperatures are going to be nice for the next 5 days, however I am noticing that after that, although day temperatures are in the 60s, night temperatures will fall to 45-47 degrees. Do you think they will be able to withstand? I have no way of getting any heat lamps out into their coop and dear wife doesn't want to hear anything about bringing them back in.
I put mine out between 3 and 4 weeks old. They can cuddle together to keep warm.

looks like the dog is jealous
beautiful baby !!!

The dog is my hope for one day being able to free range my birds again. She is growing into her role of flock protector pretty good I think.

That is until the grandbaby comes over, then she forgets all about chickens, or coyotes.

The dog is my hope for one day being able to free range my birds again. She is growing into her role of flock protector pretty good I think.

That is until the grandbaby comes over, then she forgets all about chickens, or coyotes.
now I remember the dog, she is a winner !!!
our dog sent our grandson off to college this year

I went to pick up my new girls this morning and they put 2 dark brahma's in my box instead of GLW's I was so happy I caught it before I left but after seeing all of your picture's they are so pretty I wish I had gotten them too! If only I could talk hubby into more

I have a question on day old brahmas. I picked up 25 straight run Light Brahma today and some have relatively light coloring, and some have relatively dark coloring...is this an auto-sexing trait where I can tell male from female, or simply coincidence???

Coincidence, there's some variability in coloration of Light Brahamas. As far as I know, Darks are the only ones you can somewhat autosex.

No problem. It would be really nice if you could autosex them, because they're notoriously difficult to tell apart. I had a pullet that I was convinced was a roo every other day until she finally lay an egg! ;)

Back
Top Bottom