Backyard Brahmas!!

Well, over on the Cochin thread, the Cochin people told me she's definitely not a Cochin! LOL Also, I have 2 mottled cochin chicks, and they look VERY different than this baby.

God only knows what this one is, bless her heart. No matter what thread I post on, people tell me she's not that breed, she's something else. I mean, I know she's hatchery quality (meaning crap quality) but surely SOMEBODY can tell me what the heck she is! Right now, I only know about 500 breeds that she's NOT.

barnie.gif

I love her to pieces, no matter what.

Cheers!
Katja

Does she have a single or pea comb? That is the biggest and most obvious difference between Brahma and cochin. The color she currently is doesn't match the colors recognized in the US, but she may be a poorly colored light.

She's got a single comb. I think what is throwing everyone off is that she is such a whacko color....it doesn't match ANY SOP for any breed! LOL She's special.
hide.gif
I also got a PINK-skinned Silkie without a topknot from the same batch of TSC bantams. Whichever hatchery they got their chicks from obviously has worse than usual quality control issues.
lau.gif
Good thing my babies are just intended to be pets/yard art!

Cheers,
Katja.

She's got a single comb. I think what is throwing everyone off is that she is such a whacko color....it doesn't match ANY SOP for any breed! LOL She's special.
hide.gif
I also got a PINK-skinned Silkie without a topknot from the same batch of TSC bantams. Whichever hatchery they got their chicks from obviously has worse than usual quality control issues.
lau.gif
Good thing my babies are just intended to be pets/yard art!

Cheers,
Katja.
Most of my young pullets have combs that look like yours does...a single row of bumps. That is a pea comb. A single come is usually upright. Best way to tell is to wait a little bit and watch the back end. If she is a cochin, she will have a very distinctive back end. I personally think she looks Brahma to me right now (take a look at the head, beetle brow looks present in the young picture), but things can change as they get older. LOL.

Last edited:
I got her from TSC, so she definitely came from a big commercial hatchery somewhere. No clue which one, as the current employees at my local TSC are worthless.
he.gif

Cheers,
Katja

Back
Top Bottom